Using old water for a new tank

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to make a long story short my 50 gallon aquarium broke during moving. I have a 90 gallon that I'm trying to move everything into as soon as possible. I have 40 gallons of water from the previous tank as well as about 80lbs of live rock and a very large amount of sand from the previous tank. Plus a 40 gallon refugium.

After making the rest of the necessary water would I be able to put my livestock back in straight away? If not how long should I wait? It's a bit of an emergency situation so the sooner the better. Thank you!

barftholomew777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s possible yes you’ll have 2 different types of bacteria that are going to find (assuming you use or add more sand, rock and water) I would definitely not add right away but after a day or 2 make sure parameters are ok prior to adding your fish

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from someone who has had to do this due to a leak......in a pinch like you.

If you can move the 40gal refugium over where all your media is then you can do it easily.

First off toss the sand. Theres too much built up ammonia that will release from the sand if you want to use it you'll have to wash it first so in a pinch.... move over some rock work if any isn't glued down and move over water and add water to fill up the new tank attach the refugium if you can and then u can add fish. You have enough bacteria in your refugium and live rock to handle it.

If you can't attach the fuge you'll need to move over more rock or move over your bio balls or water ever media to the other tank for bacteria.

I've done this without an extra tank moving my stuff into plastic storage containers no filter and ran wavemakers and did it like that for 3 months with just more waterchanges so you're in a better boat Than most with an extra tank.

OP
OP
Gianluca

Gianluca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from someone who has had to do this due to a leak......in a pinch like you.

If you can move the 40gal refugium over where all your media is then you can do it easily.

First off toss the sand. Theres too much built up ammonia that will release from the sand if you want to use it you'll have to wash it first so in a pinch.... move over some rock work if any isn't glued down and move over water and add water to fill up the new tank attach the refugium if you can and then u can add fish. You have enough bacteria in your refugium and live rock to handle it.

If you can't attach the fuge you'll need to move over more rock or move over your bio balls or water ever media to the other tank for bacteria.

I've done this without an extra tank moving my stuff into plastic storage containers no filter and ran wavemakers and did it like that for 3 months with just more waterchanges so you're in a better boat Than most with an extra tank.
Thank you so much, I should be able to attach the fuge so I'm going to do that asap, should I run the tank bare bottom for now and add new sand later?

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much, I should be able to attach the fuge so I'm going to do that asap, should I run the tank bare bottom for now and add new sand later?
Yes yes yes. You can wash your old sand and add later or add new sand. But don't add it now. You can leave the old sand at the bottom of the old tank for now. It takes awhile to wash old sand. Bare bottom is great.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes yes yes. You can wash your old sand and add later or add new sand. But don't add it now. You can leave the old sand at the bottom of the old tank for now. It takes awhile to wash old sand. Bare bottom is great.
If you have anymore questions or issues hit me up.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back