Why buy Ocellaris when Percula are more colorful ?

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This for sure. My wife and kids had to have Nemo (me too). We got two and they were named “Nemo” and “Nomo”.

I prefer whichever are all black and have the naked variation - probably Ocellaris.

We’ve got a Gold Stripe Maroon (misbar, I think) who my daughter always thought was Nemo since she was 2. She’s now 6 and the fish is a giant female, so her name is Nema.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really percula is better looking than a black ocellaris?
I guess is just a matter of what a person likes.
1572960617960.png

Or a black onyx from sea and reef.
1572960798872.png

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I personal prefer ocellaris over percula ten fold. I like the clean orange with white stripes outlined by black much better than the black fading that is on percula. I also think that perculas orange is less bright and vibrant and more dull.

But, just my 0.02
Came to say this exact thing.

747BD6C2-8DE0-49AA-9A84-9B0AFF136591.jpeg

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has been great to read. Clownfish are the reason I got into the hobby.. ever since I saw their swim pattern I was hooked. I ran with mostly black percula over the last 10 years but now I’m rocking some fancy designers. I have a black leopard that’s been with me 1 year and just recently acquired a orange storm. I don’t think I’ve ever owned a orange clownfish until now actually. I don’t think it can really be considered the same as it has very little orange. Anyway I did pick up tdo small and recently switched to medium I hope it lives up to the hype.

SirenBethany

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious. Whenever people ask which Clownfish you prefer, the answers are always the Percula. So my question is, why buy Ocellaris while the other one is more colorful, just as hardy and just as popular?
True Percula have 10 dorsal spines and false have 11, the false also have a clouded red eye, where the true Percula has a distinct pupil with the red color around it which gives the eye a more clear look, which I personally like better. True Percula also have a thicker more distinct black line between their orange and white which IMO gives it a more Stark contrast. But the true Percula are more expensive. The designer clownfish are really expensive and can be either Percula or Ocellaris.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't either. I'm just curious as to why peoplr always prefer Percula.
I thought Ocellaris was much more popular! I am not even sure what I bought last time but they are vivid orange and I think my lfs carries Ocellaris. What the beck is the difference between true and false percula. I am reading conflicting info!

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why buy either when you can have maroons??? Lol I love all kinds of clowns honestly, I dont favor one over the other
LOL. No way unless I put him in with my damsel! haha

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the hardest time figuring out the difference! I am reading such conflicting info! Mine jumped in the back chamber of my aio while I was cleaning the tank and I cant find him anywhere dead or alive! I guess I better check my ammonia levels! lol

kiwikoxo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I have a pair of Ocellaris! I love them! I chose them because they look cuter and smaller than the other. I think the other one looks like it has a old man face with wrinkles.

I didn't think they were different till this post, I just thought one was from the ocean and one was farm bred lol I had to look it up and realized I chose these guys because they don't have that old man looking face.
Jim Carrey Reaction GIF

#nemo for the win

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. No way unless I put him in with my damsel! haha
My maroons are very calm. A tad territorial but chill. The male loves to attack the algae scraper lol. And yeah they boss the damsels around and let them know who is boss!

Back