Aiptasia -X The Solution??

hbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used many. I have used lasers, modiano wand, many aptasia juices. They all fail. What you can’t see they won’t help with. Copperband, filefish, berghia and maybe peppermint shrimp. ALL THE OTHERS FAIL.

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had success with X. I have been diligent in dipping corals as I added them. Started with dry rock. I had a couple only show up off some zoa frags and I used it on them. A few months later I saw one more. I used it on it and I have not seen any in months. I did add a tiny peppermint shrimp months ago and figured he perished immediately but one night months after I caught some movement in a hole in a rock and it was the peppermint shrimp. Haven’t seen him in a while but assume he’s still in there somewhere. I’ve been lucky with the X and that guy I guesss.

emoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used many. I have used lasers, modiano wand, many aptasia juices. They all fail. What you can’t see they won’t help with. Copperband, filefish, berghia and maybe peppermint shrimp. ALL THE OTHERS FAIL.
Just don’t try peppermint shrimp with the Berghia. They will eat the Berghia. I learned the hard and expensive way.

Creeklife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks say that, but I have great success with this type of treatment.

Sometimes they come back in the same spot after a few months, but never have I seen the treatment cause an outbreak.

It's firmly in the old wifes tale category for me. It just gets repeated over and over and over.
No wives take for me! I had one very large live rock I put in the tank from another tank that had three or four. After about six months I had about 10 so I decided to eradicate them. I used Aptasia X and two weeks later I had about 30. I used it again thinking I really needed to stop the spread and the tank just exploded with Aptasia.
Resorted to Berghia and a long nose butterfly. They are completely gone in the display tank for the last two years. Interestingly, there are still are some in the overflow box when I take the cover off it, but none in the display tank or the sump.

markhasbostons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shut off system, remove hoses and affected overflow. Use dry sea salt. Melt away your problem. rinse and re-attach. Easiest way is to have extra hoses so you can treat them and change them out just in case it needs repeating. Just make sure to protect your sump.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big proponent of Berghia...but it looks like this is a mostly bare frag tank, not a display with 100 pounds of liverock full of cracks and crevices that the Aiptasia can hide in. I think in a bare frag tank, your chances of success with spot treating (F-aiptasia or whatever) are better than in a traditional display tank, as it is much easier physically to get to most or all of the Aiptasia. This is a situation where it is probably worth trying your luck with a chemical/spot treatment option first. Then if the Aiptasia get out of control, try a biological option.

Planted Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was battling these for a year using Aptasia X. I then tried using Aiptasia F and that knocked them back real good . Still have a couple pop back up now and again but I am so relieved that I'm not seeing dozens of these a week or so later after hitting them all. Just make sure you stop all flow and let the solution harden for about 30 minutes before turning everything back on. I would try it if your sick of the cycle with Aiptasia X.

John Hathaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like most pests the natural solution is typically the best. And this instance, no difference. Learn how to get a copperband eating frozen food and here’s a guarantee your Aptasia infestation will disappear and never return

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used aiptasia x several years ago with 100% success. The trick is to apply liberally, shut off all flow for at least 30 minutes, and then I used air line tubing attached to an acrylic rod to siphon out all the product. It took a couple bottles and about a week to get them all but they never returned. The ones in my sump just slowly disappeared over time.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used aiptasia x several years ago with 100% success. The trick is to apply liberally, shut off all flow for at least 30 minutes, and then I used air line tubing attached to an acrylic rod to siphon out all the product. It took a couple bottles and about a week to get them all but they never returned. The ones in my sump just slowly disappeared over time.
I think a lot of folks don't read the instructions and shut off all flow for at least 30 mins.
They don't potentially spread anywhere with no water movement.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gonna work…. IME those types of thing only make it worse.
It’s looks good for a week or 2 and then they come back even worse because you just made a million babies
Not necessarily. I've had great luck with Aiptasia -x and the like.

ShadowMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my personal experience, the natural route has worked best for me but only with the help of my Copperband.

Aiptaisia Eating File fish couldn't be bothered, the shrimps were hit and miss and only really worked when the aiptaisia are small and you have at 4 or 5 shrimp working on it.l, and even then it was still hit and miss.

As I said, the Copperband is the true terminator for these pests but only for what it can see/find - my overflow is full to brim of aiptaisia with no real way to clear it out... So just because you can't see them, doesn't mean they are gone!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
covering pests like this with high pH slurries/solutions is under-rated in my opinion. I used this sort of thing to eradicate palythoa from my tank.
direct injection filling their guts with kalk paste only made more so ditto, the smothering method worked better
Not gonna work…. IME those types of thing only make it worse.
It’s looks good for a week or 2 and then they come back even worse because you just made a million babies
yeah, seems if you leave ANY tissue it makes it worse
They disappear for a couple of days. But believe me, they will reappear in a week or two - with friends! You just won the battle, but not the war.
my take/theory is this is because some part of the dang thing was left

There's no coming back from a concrete coat made of soggy calcium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide, it's terminal. Just don't get it on anything you care about.
basically a concrete tomb …. this is my method if I can manage to get the slurry just right

jimmers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a Majano Wand that worked wonders! I hated adding X to the tank although they say it is safe

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back