Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 67 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 68 25.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 62 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 62 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.5%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Freshwater filter or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

Did someone just suggest a hang-on-the-back (HOB) filter in a saltwater tank? That is ridiculous and may even seem like trolling to many reef keepers. I mean, an HOB is just for freshwater tanks, or is it? Sometimes the issue comes up because a hobbyist is trying to save money, they are migrating from freshwater, they are comfortable with “older” technology, or there is a specific situation that needs a different approach. What about you – have you ever used an HOB on a saltwater tank? If so, let us know the background and share any tips that you may have.

AdamNC_HOB.jpeg

Photo by @AdamNC

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.deltecdirectusa.com

Deltec_Logo.png

“With dozens of protein skimmers, calcium reactors, media reactors and kalkwasser stirrers in operation, Deltec USA can speak from experience and help you with all your Deltec needs. Live customer support and a large inventory of products rounds out our mission to provide the best possible Deltec experience.”

Last edited:

IronJocky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use HOB filters in my salt as well as a canister filter. I use a tidal filter because it has built in skimmer and what is great about them is you can add should you need chemical filtration like chem pure or carbon or the like you add it to that without disturbing a canister or sump. HOBs are much easier to put things in and another helpful tip go to drug store and pick up a box of knee high pantyhose usually has ten pair or so works great to put carbon or resins in in your HOB I do that all the time

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a tidal on a tank and I have used them in the past as well. While they work they and canisters are not the best method imo. All the tanks I have had hob filters or equipment seem subpar at best. Large sumps with appropriate sized equipment all have done much better.

jttide

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always use HOB filters in my salt as well as a canister filter. I use a tidal filter because it has built in skimmer and what is great about them is you can add should you need chemical filtration like chem pure or carbon or the like you add it to that without disturbing a canister or sump. HOBs are much easier to put things in and another helpful tip go to drug store and pick up a box of knee high pantyhose usually has ten pair or so works great to put carbon or resins in in your HOB I do that all the time
I currently use a Tidal 110 on a 29gal tank. I have a nitrate filter pad, filter floss, small bag of carbon, and a small bag of Chemi Pure in it. Not necessarily in that order. I have LPS coral, bubble tip anemone and a small tang. I've had this tank running since February. I have more live rock in it than I would recommend, only because it will be taken out and added to help cycle a larger tank later. The tang and coral will be taken out and added to the larger system as well. No problems whatsoever.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 20H test tank ran with a Seachem Tidal past two plus years. Last I used HOB was the 70s in fresh. Never again. Clogs and overflows. Rather use a canister. Less hassle in the end and due to being bigger can go longer between servicing. I'll forego the ease of access to avoid the concerns that it might overflow.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tidal 55 I also have a Tidal 35 for my QT. The Tidal 55 runs my 30g. I also have a HOB skimmer for that tank but I love the Tidal filters. They are easy to use and robust enough to take the salt. I can add whatever media I want to the chamber. I could run a 2nd one and make a Fuge if I wanted. I have never used other HOBs other than Tidal but I would recommend the Tidals for anyone who wants a HOB.

20240426_204006.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I use a hangon back filter on my QT tanks, not it's not needed on my display tanks.

I just remembered I used a Skilter on a small tank once. I guess that qualifies as a hang-on.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a HOB on my QT tank. No issues.

And I’ve always used a canister filter on my large FOWLR. Again, no issues. The technology may be old, but so long as you clean them periodically they provide solid filtration capability.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Tidal 110 as the only mechanical filtration on my 40 gallon reef tank.
Reason = tank is in a nook in the house with no room for sump and, other than that limitation, the location is ideal (and wife-approved).
*no sump,,, no skimmer

Been working out for 3.5 years across two tanks but not what I'd consider the best approach if space weren't a barrier.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB? No, until recent years they weren't available in my country. In-tank filters? Yes, many times. Actually have one running right now due to my pistol shrimp constantly stirring up a ton of crap into the water column!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HOB? No, until recent years they weren't available in my country. In-tank filters? Yes, many times. Actually have one running right now due to my pistol shrimp constantly stirring up a ton of crap into the water column!
You are too young and Skövde have never been in the frontline for saltwater in Sweden with one exception - maybe two today if the old man still is active:anguished-face:. Back in 1979 I run a 60 L saltwater tank with Eheim´s first hang on filter - but I had to move to Gothenburg for that :anguished-face:. Its true that they never been popular in Sweden and that powerful internal foam filters is more common and I use one in my sump too.

Sincerely Lasse

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back