Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 96 36.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 72 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.0%

• Total voters

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a Reefmat 1200 for about a year now, the product it has worked wonderfully.

That said, the rolls are expensive, and it's not always easy to find them in stock. They fly off the shelf. I usually buy four rolls at a time to ensure I don't run out. Not a fan of this.

Overall it's superior to socks and more efficient than using floss, but is it worth the high cost? That depends on the individual. Certainly not a necessary purchase that's for sure.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two trigger platinum sumps. Never used socks and don’t want to. Putting off a chore until tomorrow is the only way to reef for me. IMG_2252.jpeg

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me they are another expensive gimmick. Filter floss does just as well if not better, and is cheap.
Not at all, it’s set and forget and my last roll lasted 104 days. For what u pay for the unit is definitely worth the time and effort I save with not having to worry about changing socks/ filter floss.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ReefMat 1200 on my Gen 2 625 XXL. Best piece of filtration equipment I have ever seen. It's capable of filtering my aquarium to the point where I don't even need my skimmer (though I still use it).

Only complaints would be the cost of replacing the fleece roll every 6 weeks and the motor crapping out after 15 months. The fleece roll replacement cost is worth it (I'll never go back to socks again), but the motor should last longer. Red Sea used cheap Chinese junk there.

Sneaks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a clarisea, never used socks so don't have a comparison. Replaced roll twice since I set so lasting approx 9 months per roll. More cost/work effective then what I've read about socks

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed my new reef mat 500 2 days ago and I’m in love already. No more cleaning dirty socks! I only send about 80% of my drain to the roller, while the other 20% goes to my refugium and bypasses the roller into the sump. Still effectively removes a ton of debris, but gives my copepod population the fighting chance I want them to have for my mandrin (and other benefits of a healthy pod population).
ive always wondered if my socks were catching pods. i have a mandarin too. i also wonder if my return pump kills the copepods in my refugium. some swear it doesnt but i have a hard time beleiving that

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see the need for the extra money for a gadget, that I see I do not need. I made and use a basket type filter in the second chamber. It is a basket type design that all the water from 1st chamber flows into. It has section for stuff from top to bottom. Top section felt pads,easy to lift off and replace, then sponge section, then carbon bags or whatever I want to put in there. No need for reactors or extra electricity cost. Easy no mess, simple to change. I do not mind spending time to do a change out. I see why people would love the rollers and I support their why for the need but for me, I rather have the cash..

slowwrx137

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I replaced my filter sock with a manual filter roller (Innovative Marine) about 6 months ago and wouldn't go back. I hated changing socks every few days, cleaning them, etc. With the roller I just manually turn the roller occasionally throughout the day when walking by the tank.

Richsoar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot say I'm a real experienced reefer, but I've never experienced "socks" or mat rollers. I have had 2 72 g and a 45g up and running at various times. 1 - 72 and the 45 I use Hang on filters, and the other 72 I have a small sump, which uses a hang on siphon box to move water to a top box of the sump, which has a place for "mats" (I usually ran a regular mat on top of a Charcoal Mat. The water then drips through a chamber of Bio Balls and then to the return chamber. Only place to place a "roller" would be in the intake side thus extracting the Bio Balls taking away a large biological filter source.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tanks ( 180g and a 200 g) Got the Reefmat 1200 for the 200g - game changer and absolutely love it. Easy maintenance, app tells u usage and no more filter socks. Unfortunately the 1200 doesn’t fit the sump in my 180g so I’m stuck for now until I find a good Matt solution

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back