Aquascape ideas for IM 15 AIO cubical

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I really need some ideas for an aquascape for a 15 AIO cube. No idea what to do yet. Its going to be a reef with a flaming prawn goby, starry goby, and possibly one more if I can find third good stocking option. I might also do an arrow crab, fire shrimp, or skunk shrimp.
Share me pictures of aquascapes and give me stocking options for a third or fourth fish! Looking for active swimmers.
#reefsquad #nanoreef #aquascape

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Active swimming …15 gallon cube … don’t go together.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a small tank like that, I would build a centerpiece.
IMG_1488.jpeg

This is one I built and it has lots of books in the center, overhangs with resting spots that fish can back into, and then a number of places on the upper surface for corals down the line. It took a lot of time and more rock than I eventually used but well worth it. Just an idea.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a small tank like that, I would build a centerpiece.
IMG_1488.jpeg

This is one I built and it has lots of books in the center, overhangs with resting spots that fish can back into, and then a number of places on the upper surface for corals down the line. It took a lot of time and more rock than I eventually used but well worth it. Just an idea.
I do like how that looks. Personally if I could buy it I would any tips on how to build something like that?

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with artificial rocks, broke them into a number of smaller pieces, then glued them back together. I used thick super glue and quick set spray to connect the pieces. As I built I did a couple things I think helped: 1) I used long sticks to smear the glue across the joints before spraying quick set, and 2) nearly all connections had 3 points of contact. The first resulted in joints that had a lot more contact area for the glue vs between the surfaces. The second one meant the new pieces didn’t rock once the glue set at all three contact points.

BRSTV has a video on NSA and HNSA aquascapes. They are worth watching for ideas. I didn’t use the epoxy except on one piece that was more extreme. Most of my pieces were fairly short.

One thing about the fake rock is it’s red/purple on the outside and white inside. I made sure to hide most of the white on the inside of the structures or on the bottom of a section. Also, I added small “supports” in some places without covering holes too much. I want places for fish to hide if they want.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with artificial rocks, broke them into a number of smaller pieces, then glued them back together. I used thick super glue and quick set spray to connect the pieces. As I built I did a couple things I think helped: 1) I used long sticks to smear the glue across the joints before spraying quick set, and 2) nearly all connections had 3 points of contact. The first resulted in joints that had a lot more contact area for the glue vs between the surfaces. The second one meant the new pieces didn’t rock once the glue set at all three contact points.

BRSTV has a video on NSA and HNSA aquascapes. They are worth watching for ideas. I didn’t use the epoxy except on one piece that was more extreme. Most of my pieces were fairly short.

One thing about the fake rock is it’s red/purple on the outside and white inside. I made sure to hide most of the white on the inside of the structures or on the bottom of a section. Also, I added small “supports” in some places without covering holes too much. I want places for fish to hide if they want.
Is there any prebuilt rocks that are like that one? :>

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any prebuilt rocks that are like that one? :>

Caribsea makes kits with pre-drilled pieces and fiberglass rods that may do something like prebuilt. I would buy two kits, maybe different ones, so I get options to mix and match for what I wanted. I don’t have experience using them but saw them when looking for my rocks.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caribsea makes kits with pre-drilled pieces and fiberglass rods that may do something like prebuilt. I would buy two kits, maybe different ones, so I get options to mix and match for what I wanted. I don’t have experience using them but saw them when looking for my rocks.
Oof alright. I do have to ask you though I have a metal desk its one of those artist desks that can tilt upwards. Although I'm not sure if the desk can hold it what do you think?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back