Baby shrimp?

Araona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking into the tank before I went to bed and noticed lots of tiny things swimming about. We often get a load of damsel fish eggs hatching every month but these look different, could they be shrimp? We've got 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 peppermint shrimp in the tank.

Attachments

• 1000007559.mp4
    54.2 MB

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video type doesn't seem to be supported? Maybe images or upload to youtube or something? Larvae from your cleaners or peppermint would be released a little after lights out and would exclusively swim (also are mostly transparent.) Any spawned one evening likely wouldn't survive more than an hour or two between the pumps and any awake predators.

OP
OP
A

Araona

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video type doesn't seem to be supported? Maybe images or upload to youtube or something? Larvae from your cleaners or peppermint would be released a little after lights out and would exclusively swim (also are mostly transparent.) Any spawned one evening likely wouldn't survive more than an hour or two between the pumps and any awake predators.
Ah that's annoying, here's some stills from the video yeah I'm not expecting to see any by the morning! Still cool to see tonight though
Screenshot_20240429_220057_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240429_220114_Gallery.jpg

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's probably larvae from one of them. If there are visible flecks of red on their body, it's probably the peppermints, whereas if it's just clear with the yellow dot in the center it's probably the skunk cleaners (fire cleaners also have some red in their larvae.)

They should be drawn towards the light, so especially if you get the pumps off, they will congregate towards it, and you should see at least one molt in the morning, generally release of eggs is done the same night as the molt, several hours preceding it.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, those are definitely crustacean larvae of some kind - if you've only got pairs of shrimp in the tank, then those would be my suspects.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 32 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back