Back at it again for the first time…

that one time

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No questions
well maybe a couple lol but I really just wanted to show some people what I got going.

I’ll see if the couple videos I got will load.

Excuse the mess eventually there will be a wall built and things will be in better order lol

I started a saltwater tank 10-15 yrs ago and soon as i started to add stuff I had to tear it down.

But I’ve been wanting to get back into it and now’s the time.

This setup was all spur of the moment so there will be modifications and changes made in the future so suggestions are greatly appreciated.

But I got a 125 gallon tank and stand for a steal so next thing I know I’m filling it up with RO water and some store bought saltwater.

I’m using a 75 gallon tank for my sump, which is just a diy kit I got off eBay.

Nothing special just overflow with filter socks then skimmer a good size refugium then return.

I shot for around an inch to 1 1/2 inch sand bed and used mostly live sand I’d say 80/20 live.

With a little over 100lbs of just base rock and planning to add another 20 or so of actual live rock but in my area, cheapest I can find is 6.99 a pound idk if that’s cheap or what not but it varies in the area I’m willing to drive from so from 6.99 up too 14.99 a pound slows that process down some lol

I did the same for the refugium as I did the display with some of the base rock and sand also a little bit of chaeto ( got it for free) just a couple ounces at most and I added some of the brightwell aquatics live tank starter.

This was 6 weeks ago.

I test every 3 to 5 days and alls been well I did notice a small spike in ammonia and nitrates but it was minuscule I hardly noticed.

I guess I was expecting a drastic jump but it hasn’t been a drastic one yet.

Also about a week into the process I had a garbage or my tank situation pop up with a clownfish so I took it in.

A week into my cycle!!!

I had some shrimp in and they were starting to smell pretty bad so I got it out and put in the clownfish and wasn’t expecting good things for it, but as we sit it’s week 6 and it seems to be doing fine. Time will tell I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_2640.mov
    18 MB
  • IMG_2639.mov
    43.6 MB

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a restaurant,or was it a bar recently and they were playing that (Foreigner?) song "It feels like the first time." Your thread title reminded me of that.

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Roadblock Party GIF by foreignerrrrr

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back