OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
5/7 Update: Happy to report the eye is looking much better. Tonight I am adding Kanaplex dose 2. They reacted well to Prazi powder, no visible impact to feeding, everyone is still eating everything I throw in the tank. Mixing Prazi was more difficult than I expected, magnetic stirer on full power for 1 hour (1/4 tsp in 1L of water) and there were still tiny particles mixing.

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would anyone know what these new white spots are?

IMG_8651.jpeg
IMG_8650.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you should be into 20 some days of copper, correct? Did that fish get the full prazipro dosage yet. monitor the spots - if they stay in the same place it could be mucus or an injury. If they are moving around, it could be ich - but I don't see how. I would continue your same protocol. until all fish have had 2, 8 day treatments of prazipro as well as finishing the copper

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you should be into 20 some days of copper, correct? Did that fish get the full prazipro dosage yet. monitor the spots - if they stay in the same place it could be mucus or an injury. If they are moving around, it could be ich - but I don't see how. I would continue your same protocol. until all fish have had 2, 8 day treatments of prazipro as well as finishing the copper
I don't think it's ich, they are too raised. I have one more prazi (I am using powder, not prazipro) dose to go this weekend. I am going to be ready to move him to DT in 6 days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would anyone know what these new white spots are?

IMG_8651.jpeg
IMG_8650.jpeg

Those look like mucus plugs. Basically, a fish's skin cells produce extra mucus in response to some irritation. Sometimes, these are idiopathic and of no consequence, other times they are a result of some infection, but you can't really tell just by the way they look.

Are these localized just on the fish's left side, or are there some on the other side as well?
Does the fish currently show any other symptoms?

OP
OP
Reefer1978

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those look like mucus plugs. Basically, a fish's skin cells produce extra mucus in response to some irritation. Sometimes, these are idiopathic and of no consequence, other times they are a result of some infection, but you can't really tell just by the way they look.

Are these localized just on the fish's left side, or are there some on the other side as well?
Does the fish currently show any other symptoms?
Just the left side. The only other part that’s a little odd, his mouth is open. Otherwise Popeye seems to be getting better.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back