Can I upgrade Tank Size without losing "Age" of tank???

DragonStone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small starter salt tank. I love it.

I'd like to double or triple the size of it. From 10 gallons to 20 or even 30 gallons. My tank has been up for 6+ months and it's doing really well. Good balance, lots of copepods and growth on live rock, etc.

Can I just....move everything over (water included) and then continue from there? Is there a way to upgrade without "starting over"?? And how?? Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small starter salt tank. I love it.

I'd like to double or triple the size of it. From 10 gallons to 20 or even 30 gallons. My tank has been up for 6+ months and it's doing really well. Good balance, lots of copepods and growth on live rock, etc.

Can I just....move everything over (water included) and then continue from there? Is there a way to upgrade without "starting over"?? And how?? Thanks!
For seamless you'll need to add rocks at or beyond age of current. Any dry rock added will have to go through the same maturation process. That said any live rock added will support the life of anything you already have.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say everything stays the same except for the sand. When I upgrade, I always rinse my sand and add more new sand (rinsed as well), so the sandbed gets diatoms and then sometimes cyano, but from that point seems to be fine.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep the rocks and maybe add a scoop of the upper layer of sand to the new tank, there shouldn't be major problems. Getting a completely new sand bed does "de-age" the tank a bit but other than that it isn't a huge deal.

OP
OP
D

DragonStone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you all!!

So mix current sand with new sand to help age that. Keep rocks, add a few more live rocks but it will be 60%+ current rocks. Move over most of the water.

I guess how do I...mechanically do this? Especially if the new tank needs to go where the old one is hahaha

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you all!!

So mix current sand with new sand to help age that. Keep rocks, add a few more live rocks but it will be 60%+ current rocks. Move over most of the water.

I guess how do I...mechanically do this? Especially if the new tank needs to go where the old one is hahaha
Make sure to rinse the sand thoroughly if reusing and no need to transfer water.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you all!!

I wouldn’t.. sand is cheap! Get your new tank add all new sand and then move your current rocks and water over.. fill the rest up with new salt water and your tank won’t skip a beat! It’s basically just a nice water change!

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you all!!

Your sandbed in the new tank should be mostly new sand, with just a bit of your old sand included for biodiversity seeding. Sand traps a lot of substances that, in large quantities, can be toxic to your livestock. You can rinse out your old sand enough to minimize the risk, but it takes quite a bit to clean your sand thoroughly, and so most people prefer to simply start off with new sand.

As for the mechanics - it depends on how big the new tank is, but the general process is:

• Get a storage container(s) to hold your livestock and rocks. The big plastic storage totes work well for this.
  • Fill them with water, a heater, and a powerhead. Transfer your livestock and rocks to the storage totes.
  • Drain your current tank completely.
  • Move it out of the way, place the new tank in its place.
  • Install any equipment that you couldn't pre-install.
  • Place the rocks in the new tank.
  • Place your sand in the new tank.
  • Fill the new tank with water.
  • Release your fish and other mobile critters into the new tank.
If you'll be adding any new rock to the tank (which you should), either rinse it thoroughly and allow debris and loose material to fall off (dry rock), or allow it to sit in circulating water for a few days to release and rinse off the die-off from transit (live rock). You should leak-test your new tank in advance of installation, and this is also a good time to let the new rocks get ready for their debut.

You'll also want to do as much ahead of time as possible, you want to minimize the amount of time that your livestock are in totes. Also, clear an entire day for the transfer. It shouldn't take that long, but it seems to always take longer than you expect it to.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to note is that substrate is a lot of surface area. Buffer, bacteria, etc.

OP
OP
D

DragonStone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sandbed in the new tank should be mostly new sand, with just a bit of your old sand included for biodiversity seeding. Sand traps a lot of substances that, in large quantities, can be toxic to your livestock. You can rinse out your old sand enough to minimize the risk, but it takes quite a bit to clean your sand thoroughly, and so most people prefer to simply start off with new sand.

As for the mechanics - it depends on how big the new tank is, but the general process is:

• Get a storage container(s) to hold your livestock and rocks. The big plastic storage totes work well for this.
  • Fill them with water, a heater, and a powerhead. Transfer your livestock and rocks to the storage totes.
  • Drain your current tank completely.
  • Move it out of the way, place the new tank in its place.
  • Install any equipment that you couldn't pre-install.
  • Place the rocks in the new tank.
  • Place your sand in the new tank.
  • Fill the new tank with water.
  • Release your fish and other mobile critters into the new tank.
If you'll be adding any new rock to the tank (which you should), either rinse it thoroughly and allow debris and loose material to fall off (dry rock), or allow it to sit in circulating water for a few days to release and rinse off the die-off from transit (live rock). You should leak-test your new tank in advance of installation, and this is also a good time to let the new rocks get ready for their debut.

You'll also want to do as much ahead of time as possible, you want to minimize the amount of time that your livestock are in totes. Also, clear an entire day for the transfer. It shouldn't take that long, but it seems to always take longer than you expect it to.
This is perfect thank you!

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you will likely need more rocks I usually get the rocks I will use for the new tank and put them in a bucket with heater and wavemaker. Be sure to top off with RO occasionally. Put in at least one of your old rock or media and some MB7 once a week. Preferably leave like this for weeks or months. When you setup the new tank you will have these rocks with some bacteria plus your old rocks. Works great.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back