Christmas Wrasse Reef Safe?

smoothie7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a beautiful Christmas Wrasse. They told me he is reef safe but would probably kill shrimp. Anybody have first hand experience with this fish?

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my understanding there are a few different species of "Christmas Wrasse" in the hobby, and it would depend on the species. The larger ones will definitely go after inverts. Depends on what you would consider reef safe and what actual species it is. Pics would probably help and @Slocke or @i cant think will be able to answer better than I.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the species are generally smaller species of Halichoeres. Small shrimp might be at risk but most cleaner shrimp and other medium to large inverts will be totally fine.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the species are generally smaller species of Halichoeres. Small shrimp might be at risk but most cleaner shrimp and other medium to large inverts will be totally fine.
There is one Thalassoma species though. And Ornatissimus from memory was more boisterous than the other Halichoeres.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is one Thalassoma species though. And Ornatissimus from memory was more boisterous than the other Halichoeres.
True don’t get Thalassoma trilobatum

1714502225045.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True don’t get Thalassoma trilobatum

1714502225045.jpeg
There may be another Thalassoma then, but I think the other is Hawaiian endemic - T. purpureum. Last I saw one available it was a ‘Christmas wrasse’

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s another red and green wrasse. What should we call it? Christmas wrasse again?

Well we do call every yellow wrasse a banana wrasse. And every monochromatic wrasse a coris wrasse.
There may be another Thalassoma then, but I think the other is Hawaiian endemic - T. purpureum. Last I saw one available it was a ‘Christmas wrasse’
Trilobatum is the most common wrasse I saw in Hawaii

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has a beautiful Christmas Wrasse. They told me he is reef safe but would probably kill shrimp. Anybody have first hand experience with this fish?
I think in summary OP snap a pic and post it and we can tell you what it is and if it’s safe to add.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s another red and green wrasse. What should we call it? Christmas wrasse again?

Well we do call every yellow wrasse a banana wrasse. And every monochromatic wrasse a coris wrasse.

Trilobatum is the most common wrasse I saw in Hawaii
I call my two yellow wrasses...... yellow coris :grimacing-face:

Kona22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have biocellatus Christmas wrasse, 4inch male , added a skunk cleaner and several peppermint shrimp recently and he has ignored them. I do keep my fish well fed which probably help's.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have either a halichoeres claudia or a halichoeres ornatissimus and small snails and hermit crabs are only safe because they hide in their shells. I already made the peppermint shrimp mistake, between them or the other two halichoeres I've got shrimp are not safe.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see my Thalassoma going after hermits they grab them and dive bomb them against the rocks to shatter the shells. All the Halichoeres I have ignore the hermits.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still love my bonded pair of Lunar's. I will have to move one of them to another tank eventually but right now they are great to watch.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proof that all fish are individuals... Canary wrasse eats snails, but only the turbo snail babies. Vroliks eats bristle worms. But none of these fish I bought specifically to eat flat worms will touch them.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back