Clownfish cut?

temphermitcrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can tell if this just looks like a cut on our Male Clownfish. I tried to turn the lights for the best photo but I found it hard to get a good pic. It looks swollen and a little fuzzy around it. It's the fuzziness that has me wondering. I haven't had personal experience with any of the common diseases I've read about. I didn't see the cut yesterday. I've seen some cuts before and they all seem to get better within a couple of days so I'm hoping this is the same. He's eating and acting normally. We have 9 other fish and all were quarantined before they were added - all between August and December 2023. Two of the fish are Tangs who are basically really nice but still will warn every once in a while. Nothing has been added to the tank since some coral around December. Because of the quarantining and nothing being added I'm leaning to thinking it's just a cut.

Thanks!

IMG_8820.JPG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
temphermitcrab Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can tell if this just looks like a cut on our Male Clownfish. I tried to turn the lights for the best photo but I found it hard to get a good pic. It looks swollen and a little fuzzy around it. It's the fuzziness that has me wondering. I haven't had personal experience with any of the common diseases I've read about. I didn't see the cut yesterday. I've seen some cuts before and they all seem to get better within a couple of days so I'm hoping this is the same. He's eating and acting normally. We have 9 other fish and all were quarantined before they were added - all between August and December 2023. Two of the fish are Tangs who are basically really nice but still will warn every once in a while. Nothing has been added to the tank since some coral around December. Because of the quarantining and nothing being added I'm leaning to thinking it's just a cut.

Thanks!

IMG_8820.JPG
Looks like a superficial scrape injury and one with potential for infection. Keep an eye on it for soreness or redness but have on hand seachem kanaplex or neoplex and treatment tank in case needed
This could have been caused by close contact with rock or object or aggression from other clown
They both also appear a little thin. What foods are you offering them?

OP
OP
temphermitcrab

temphermitcrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a superficial scrape injury and one with potential for infection. Keep an eye on it for soreness or redness but have on hand seachem kanaplex or neoplex and treatment tank in case needed
This could have been caused by close contact with rock or object or aggression from other clown
They both also appear a little thin. What foods are you offering them?
Hi vetteguy53081. Thanks for a quick reply. I'll look further into the Kanaplex or Neoplex. I'm not extremely familiar with antibiotics and their use. I read on humble fish that Kanaplex has Nitrofurazone, which I already have (AquaLife Rx Nitrofurazone). Do you know if the Nitrofurazone can be used as a substitute? I have a spare tank if needed. Would the antibiotic need to be dosed in a separate tank?

You mentioning they look thin has me concerned. I actually thought they might be heavy but I certainly don't want to be wrong. I've been feeding TDO Chroma Boost pellets once per day. They probably get at least 20 x-small pellets. I also feed 1 cube of Calanus and 1/2 cube of Mysis Shrimp. I used to feed the pellets twice a day but I cut it back to once a day thinking it would help keep my Phosphates in range (.03-.07). I have four Vanderbilt Chromis' that are small but active and the feedings were designed mainly around them.

Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi vetteguy53081. Thanks for a quick reply. I'll look further into the Kanaplex or Neoplex. I'm not extremely familiar with antibiotics and their use. I read on humble fish that Kanaplex has Nitrofurazone, which I already have (AquaLife Rx Nitrofurazone). Do you know if the Nitrofurazone can be used as a substitute? I have a spare tank if needed. Would the antibiotic need to be dosed in a separate tank?

You mentioning they look thin has me concerned. I actually thought they might be heavy but I certainly don't want to be wrong. I've been feeding TDO Chroma Boost pellets once per day. They probably get at least 20 x-small pellets. I also feed 1 cube of Calanus and 1/2 cube of Mysis Shrimp. I used to feed the pellets twice a day but I cut it back to once a day thinking it would help keep my Phosphates in range (.03-.07). I have four Vanderbilt Chromis' that are small but active and the feedings were designed mainly around them.

Thanks
i would not use nitro as kanaplex is best absorbed by fish both internally and externally

1714522079003.png
1714522114936.png

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back