CW nerd explosion showing a color it isn’t supposed to show?

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
See the pics. First pic is the mother colony.

Others are mine. The tip is baby blue with a bit of yellow inside the axial coralite.

What’s going on?
Used different filters and light to try to get best rep of what I actually see.

IMG_9289.png IMG_9287.jpeg IMG_9286.jpeg IMG_9285.jpeg IMG_9284.jpeg IMG_9283.jpeg

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Many Acros can pop different colors in different tanks all the time
Yes, I am aware. It’s just weird. Like a 350 par vs 500 per Walt Disney is completely different.

It’s just weird that a couple unnamed acro colonies I have are starting to do the exact same thing and same color. weird.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pic of the mother colony is clearly under blue lights (egg crate rack is blue instead of white) and taken with an orange filter and the saturation is turned way up (artifacts viewable in the pic). That is not a realistic representation of the actual colors of that coral. In addition, lighting and water chemistry are usually different in each tank, so your growth and coloration will also be different from the mother. I wouldn't worry about trying to achieve the colors in the original pic as they aren't real LOL. Here's our RR Lady in Pink. One is an accurate pic, one is "slightly enhanced" can you tell which is which LOL?

RR Lady in Pink.jpg
RR Lady in Pink Overdone.jpg

Last edited:

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot of sellers edit pics to make them look better than they are. Kinda shady IMO, but unfortunately, its pretty standard anymore. If you look really close at them under intense blue lighting with an orange filter, you MAY see something similar.
Most reputable sellers will send pics of the coral under full spectrum lighting upon request. You may consider doing that in the future to prevent this kind of disappointment.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back