Dirty aquarium

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my 65gallon aquarium running for about 6 months. My tank has been through some ups and downs, but recently I thought it had stabilized. Unfortunately, I don’t think that’s the case. It keeps getting so dirty, I do water changes every 2 weeks like clock work, my water parameters seem normal, I even brought my water in to my local aquarium shop to get tested and it came back all normal. I can’t for the life of me keep this tank clean. The sand keeps getting so dirty and I don’t know how to clean it. The glass also keeps getting dirty, and I’m constantly cleaning it. Is this normal? I just keep seeing tanks with white sand and I’m wondering how I can keep it like that?

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are in the normal ugly phase, but pictures will help. To keep the sand bed clean, try getting CUC that will clean it. Try nassarius snails, conchs, and if you would like to add another fish to your tank, look into a sand sifting goby.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say what you are experiencing is fairly normal for a new tank. It takes a while for everything to settle out and stabilize. I am in the middle of it myself and my tank has been wet for almost a year.
You can see all the algae on my rocks and sand in this pic.
20240425_164447.jpg

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are in the normal ugly phase, but pictures will help. To keep the sand bed clean, try getting CUC that will clean it. Try nassarius snails, conchs, and if you would like to add another fish to your tank, look into a sand sifting goby.
I will post a picture later today, but I feel like it just looks so dirty. Also, I find that snails don’t last long in my tank. Is that normal?

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say what you are experiencing is fairly normal for a new tank. It takes a while for everything to settle out and stabilize. I am in the middle of it myself and my tank has been wet for almost a year.
You can see all the algae on my rocks and sand in this pic.
20240425_164447.jpg
Your tank looks great! mine is way dirtier, I wish it looked like that lol. I will be sharing a picture later once I’m home.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great! mine is way dirtier, I wish it looked like that lol. I will be sharing a picture later once I’m home.
Thanks but I think that pic was to kind on the tank. This one shows the algae on the rocks better.

20240430_125017.jpg

I just ordered a Lemon Peel Angel from Biota.com that is coming in Friday so after it's QT it will be put to work eating the algae. I want to add a bristletooth Tang but that will be my last fish added so it will be a while.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the flow in your tank? Good strong flow moves more water through the filters, it keep detritus and 'stuff' floating around in the water so it can be filtered out.

Maybe post a pic of your tank, lets see it so we can give you more suggestions.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 ==> What do your parameters look like? I know you said normal, but id like to know the numbers. And yes, yes, yes to a CUC. A good CUC will handle the job nicely. For algae, you could consider an algae scrubber. For the larger bits of detritus, a Fleece roller. But these are pricy things.

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks but I think that pic was to kind on the tank. This one shows the algae on the rocks better.

20240430_125017.jpg

I just ordered a Lemon Peel Angel from Biota.com that is coming in Friday so after it's QT it will be put to work eating the algae. I want to add a bristletooth Tang but that will be my last fish added so it will be a while.
IMG_1934.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 ==> What do your parameters look like? I know you said normal, but id like to know the numbers. And yes, yes, yes to a CUC. A good CUC will handle the job nicely. For algae, you could consider an algae scrubber. For the larger bits of detritus, a Fleece roller. But these are pricy things.
Temp: just below 30 C
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0, reading on testing kit shows slight colour but it’s the same every time I test for it
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
Nitrite: 0

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what exactly is a Cuc?

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not dealing with an invasive bacteria or algae simply do daily 5 gallon water changes for a week or so. Assuming your using good water you should start to see improvements after the 3rd or 4th change. Obviously if your tank looks like a toilet your numbers aren't normal and small daily changes can only help in regaining balance.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That haziness in the tank looks to be like a bacterial bloom in progress.

Clean all of your filter media in clean RODI water and replace. You can also run a UV sterilizer to help.

Do you run a sump (sorry if I missed this in the thread)?

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my 65gallon aquarium running for about 6 months. My tank has been through some ups and downs, but recently I thought it had stabilized. Unfortunately, I don’t think that’s the case. It keeps getting so dirty, I do water changes every 2 weeks like clock work, my water parameters seem normal, I even brought my water in to my local aquarium shop to get tested and it came back all normal. I can’t for the life of me keep this tank clean. The sand keeps getting so dirty and I don’t know how to clean it. The glass also keeps getting dirty, and I’m constantly cleaning it. Is this normal? I just keep seeing tanks with white sand and I’m wondering how I can keep it like that?
So the one thing not to many mention when they post videos or pictures of their beautiful tanks is that about an hour before that photo the had just wrapped up an hour of cleaning... as far as clean sand is concerned you have to look at different options but the one for me has been watchman sand sifting goby.. i come home after weeks away to pristine sandbed. Now if your the type to have corals laying in your sandbed he's not a good idea. He will bury everything and if you leave for a week you will more than likely come home to dead corals. But if all your corals are on the rocks.. start there
1000251528.jpg

Look at this guy munch! A puc from reef builders.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp: just below 30 C
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0, reading on testing kit shows slight colour but it’s the same every time I test for it
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
Nitrite: 0
What about phosphate, Alkalinity, Magnesium, Calcium..?

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if the water looks like that and you didnt stir it up you definitely have an aglea bloom and its very common. The best solution for that is a UV sterilizer. I know those are expensive, but the do have cheaper alternatives to the expensive ones. When this happened to me I ordered a a cheap pump off amazon.. literally this green one.
1000251529.jpg

Its 18$ and I ordered this UV sterilizer as well
1000251532.jpg

Now I know thats a bit more expensive but it worked very well...so this hangs on the rim of your tank. I put the pump in the display and sweeped it out of the tank into this sterilizer and it dumps back in the tank.. it was in the display for a week which was about 4 days longer than it probably needed to be. The water was crystal clear by day 4.
1000251531.jpg
you can barely see it but its in the upper right corner. This was my tank just starting out and let me tell you before that sterilizer I couldn't see the back glass it was so bad... anyways, my 2 pennies.

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That haziness in the tank looks to be like a bacterial bloom in progress.

Clean all of your filter media in clean RODI water and replace. You can also run a UV sterilizer to help.

Do you run a sump (sorry if I missed this in the thread)?
Just before this happened , I cleaned my filter media. I almost feel like it got worse after. I don’t run a dump currently

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back