Do You Quarantine Feeder Snails?

jellifishi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at what cool things I could put in my tank, but already have a cleanup crew. My tank is still new, so they are the first thing I put in my tank (snails & 1 hermit). I didn't quarantine them, so are you supposed to quarantine snails or acclimate them to my saltwater and let them in? I was looking into some cool critters that might actually end up eating the snails from time to time, which I don't necessarily mind, so would it be safe to quarantine these "feeder" snails? How would it effect what eats them or the other invertebrates in the tank? (Ex: Ich or Velvet)

Thanks in advance!

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wondered the same snails to me carry really evil things yet nothing is published about it

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the safest route is quarantine them in a fishless tank for 60-76 days to ensure that 1 - any fish diseases (like ich) die off and don't infect your fish when you add the snails to the tank, and 2 - so you can remove any unwanted hitchhikers from the snails like hydroids, bubble algae, etc.

Inverts like snails bringing in disease is incredibly rare, but it does happen sometimes.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back