Dwarf Lionfish Bloated

FishHobbiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am new to this forum and was hoping for some advice and insite on my dwarf lionfish. Yesterday into today he appears to be very bloated and hanging out at the top of the tank. This location is not unusual for him and he still occasionally will swim down in the water column. We have had him for about 3 weeks. Feed him Ghost shrimp every 3 days or so (and occasionally guppies)

All other fish and corals seem happy and healthy

20240501_091714.jpg 20240501_091711.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello, I am new to this forum and was hoping for some advice and insite on my dwarf lionfish. Yesterday into today he appears to be very bloated and hanging out at the top of the tank. This location is not unusual for him and he still occasionally will swim down in the water column. We have had him for about 3 weeks. Feed him Ghost shrimp every 3 days or so (and occasionally guppies)

All other fish and corals seem happy and healthy

20240501_091714.jpg 20240501_091711.jpg
Likely constipation
What foods are you feeding and when did fish last eat?
Is fish breathing normal or labored?

OP
OP
F

FishHobbiest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last ate two days ago. Four or five Ghost shrimp and a small guppy. Breathing appears to be normal
Seems to have white? String of poop today. Not sure if that is normal. Does this typically work itself out or a sign of something more serious?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you Quarantine the fish? Was the fish like this from the start - or can you time when it developed. Can you think of anything that happened just before you noticed the change? As @vetteguy53081 suggested - this can be due to diet (constipation) - with excess air in the intestine s(constipation itself should not cause floating), or increased air in the swim bladder. The usual treatment is changing the diet - or treatment in a QT tank with an antibiotic (like kanamycin). Since it happened within 3 Weeks, it could be related to transit or injury. Hope this helps!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 24 19.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 33 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back