Good day from Sweden I am only just getting into the saltwater hobby coming from the freshwater scene

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello & Welcome!
IMG_0831.jpeg

OP
OP
U

Urchin boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and Welcome to R2R! Sounds like you will take things with patience.
Initially my plan was too try and obtain turtle grass only to realise that doing so would not only likely be very expensive and time consuming but also the fact that true seagrasses are very fragile when shipping so even if I did obtain one it would likely be dead or close to dying at arrival.

If I have to choose macro algae as an alternative I am probably going to choose caluerpa prolifera as it's about as close as I can get to something that looks very similar to real seagrass but without the hassle and difficulty of obtaining a real one.
1716377728940.png

OP
OP
U

Urchin boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you're here! Make sure you start a build thread so we can all follow along. Link in my signature on how to do that :)
I am definitely going to do so once my tank starts cycling after adding some extra sand to my sandbed as I currently have a coarse sandbed but I need to add a finer sand layer on top to help my future invertebrates with digging space as the coarser sand is not very digging friendly and might hurt them. I will add my macro algae soon after the cycling has started to help absorb the nitrates and I am probably going to pick Caluerpa prolifera as it looks similar enough to real seagrass and provides similar benefits without being nearly as expensive or difficult to find and care for

OP
OP
U

Urchin boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!

Be careful with two types of sand in the tank. You might end up with two different mountains/areas. The stream pump might "flush" the light weight sand away :)
I am not going to use very heavy flow and even if I did it would create sand dunes which would look very nice in my opinion

Back