Harlequin Shrimp

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been overrun by Asterina stars, which I hear can be a sign of a water issues, but all of my parameters are stable.

I am considering getting a Harlequin Shrimp to rid my tank of these things, but I wanted your opinions on compatibility.

My current livestock list:

Yellow Tang
Lyretail Anthias
Sixline Wrasse
Diamond Goby
Tomato Clown
Cleaner Shrimp
Sexy Shrimp x2
Nems x2
Mixed Reef (SPS, LPS, Zoas, Soft)

Any special care for these guys other than providing enough food? (which shouldn't be a problem)

reefdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you get one that's really small your sixline might try to pick on it. i had a pair in with my mystery wrasse for a year without any problems until one day the shrimp spawned (as they did regularly) and i think the wrasse got a little aggressive with the feeding. the male stressed and died 2 days later, the female followed about two months later.

in regards to feeding, they'll wipe out your asterinas faster than you think. be prepared to offer chocolate chip starfish as a replacement which have increased in price over the years. if you get one shrimp, expect to feed a medium to full size star every 3 weeks or so.

Acezwild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 1 with a sixline wrasse for 6 months and didnt have any issues 1 should be enough I had 200+ asterina stars and it wiped it all out within months they are now extinct :xd:

wschang812

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a pair and they are voracious. the pair would eat med/large chocostar in 1.5 weeks.

amore169

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some people keep their star fish in their sump and just feed the Herlequin when needed, and keeping the star fish in the sump and only chopping some arms.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back