Have you found the balance?

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you found the balance between keeping your home reef stocked with beautiful non-reef-safe species and maintaining its integrity?

There are many species out there that are incredible but not so incredible as far as being "reef safe." Unfortunately, in some cases, these species are often the most eye-catching or exciting. Have you taken the risk (or challenge) of keeping a species with a bad reputation in your tank? And I'm not talking about FOWLR tanks, although those are a life-saver. I'm talking about in your tank, with other livestock, coral, inverts, and fish alike!

If you've taken this leap? Did you manage to maintain the health and happiness of your tank with one of these notorious yet beautiful species? I want to hear your experiences! Let's see pictures of your risky tank inhabitants!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have balanced certain coral species as well as fish species. Nothing I would consider long long term because of tank transitions etc. I've housed some dwarf angels before as well as invasive coral types.

OP
OP
AlyciaMarie

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband and I visited our LFS today and were admiring some of the non-reef safe angels they had displayed. They're so beautiful but I'm not sure I'll ever be up for the challenge of one. Anyone had any success with emperor angels? Those are my favorite.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1888 Copy.jpeg
20200213_161958 Copy.jpeg
Have had mine five years model citizen

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a tank full of “best left in the ocean” fish and coral nippers:
Regal Angel, Moorish Idol, Rock Beauty, bicolor Angel
my take:
- all doable if they are healthy and eating at time of purchase
- lots of misinformation on care and diet. For example Rock Beauties requiring sponges and Moorish Idols needing company,et et
- lots of corals and species can be safely kept and/or many individual fish have INDIVIDUAL taste. For example seems galaxea, gonis, euphillias and sps seem untouched or unaffected by many coral nippers…time will tell for long term survival and compatibility ….nothing is written in stone

image.jpg

OP
OP
AlyciaMarie

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a tank full of “best left in the ocean” fish and coral nippers:
Regal Angel, Moorish Idol, Rock Beauty, bicolor Angel
my take:
- all doable if they are healthy and eating at time of purchase
- lots of misinformation on care and diet. For example Rock Beauties requiring sponges and Moorish Idols needing company,et et
- lots of corals and species can be safely kept and/or many individual fish have INDIVIDUAL taste. For example seems galaxea, gonis, euphillias and sps seem untouched or unaffected by many coral nippers…time will tell for long term survival and compatibility ….nothing is written in stone

image.jpg
That's a cool idea for a tank, it looks great! Moorish idols are so cool. What is your feeding regimen like? I've always heard that coral nippers need to have a very strict feeding schedule to give the coral the best chance at not getting picked at. What do you do when you're gone for longer periods of time?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a cool idea for a tank, it looks great! Moorish idols are so cool. What is your feeding regimen like? I've always heard that coral nippers need to have a very strict feeding schedule to give the coral the best chance at not getting picked at. What do you do when you're gone for longer periods of time?
Yes that is spot on, if they are already on a schedule you will notice a LOT of swimming and general “chippyness” about 1/2 before feeding…. they seem preoccupied with feeding times vs general grazing about ..
In as far as eating corals go: I learned my lesson on a long vacation with three idols in a tank: the alpha killed his mates and my tank was fully devoid of every acan, brain or fleshy LPS …Anymore I find a LFS or tank maint. Co and pay for babysitting and Apex monitoring
Besides, I only now stock galaxea, euphillias, sps or low encrusting corals with these guys

OP
OP
AlyciaMarie

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is spot on, if they are already on a schedule you will notice a LOT of swimming and general “chippyness” about 1/2 before feeding…. they seem preoccupied with feeding times vs general grazing about ..
In as far as eating corals go: I learned my lesson on a long vacation with three idols in a tank: the alpha killed his mates and my tank was fully devoid of every acan, brain or fleshy LPS …Anymore I find a LFS or tank maint. Co and pay for babysitting and Apex monitoring
Besides, I only now stock galaxea, euphillias, sps or low encrusting corals with these guys
Oh wow, I bet that was devastating!

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So beautiful. Five years? Impressive! Got any tips for those of us who may want to keep them in the future? I love emperor angels, it would be a dream to keep one.
Feed, feed and feed. Seriously these fish are pigs even worse than my tangs. They get a whole sheet of red or green algae sheets daily nls algae max pellets and diy seafood mix every other day. I firmly believe in live rock and lots of it with lots of hiding spaces. This is my favorite fish along with my desjardini they hang out together all the time. I wish I could get another juvenile because I love the transition time frame with emperors.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried an Emperor due to not having a big enough tank, but if I ever make the leap to 150-200 gallons I'll definitely give it a whirl.

My first Lemonpeel was an angel (pun intended). Never bothered any corals. Long story short, disease took him and a bunch of others out. Fast forward to about a month ago and I now have another Lemonpeel and a Flame. The Flame is 100% reef safe so far, and the Lemonpeel is maybe 100%. He pecks around my Zoas occasionally, but I can't tell if he's actually eating them, or just around them. Zoas are happy and healthy, so he's definitely not hurting them in any significant way. Yet.

Reeferbadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've had this emperor angel for 4+ years now (El Heffe or the boss). I know that he will nip some softies, zoa's are out as he will just eat those, but most other LPS and sps and things like mushrooms are fine. Love him.
DSC_1448.jpeg

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Are you able to keep inverts and CUC in the tank with this guy?
Yes. I have trochus snails, nassarius snails, bumblebee snails, a shortspine urchin, and a tiger pistol shrimp. He only bothers the nassarius snails, and they rarely are above the sand where he can reach them.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back