In Sump Skimmer Preference?

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R,

I’ve had an OLD reef octopus skimmer that was on my 300g that broke a year ago (RIP marine land 300g). Now I’m using it on my new tank. I’ve never been impressed with the way it runs. It just doesn’t skim no matter what I do.

I have the HOB aquamaxx skimmers on my other tanks which are good - but frankly need to be deep cleaned monthly in order to function properly.

I’d love to get a nice in sump big skimmer for my new ~350g tank but don’t want to spend $800 for another nonfunctional skimmer.

Also, I am running ozone. It’s hard to find descriptions on skimmers that state whether something is ozone safe.

Any recommendations? Maybe a controllable one?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already purchased a Red Sea 900 but like you couldn’t quite get under that $800 … yes I looked pretty hard
Although the ReefRun sensors are temperamental I like the control and risk management the reef runs offer for overflows et …
Might be worth considering spending that extra $100

OP
OP
TinnysReef

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already purchased a Red Sea 900 but like you couldn’t quite get under that $800 … yes I looked pretty hard
Although the ReefRun sensors are temperamental I like the control and risk management the reef runs offer for overflows et …
Might be worth considering spending that extra $100
You're liking the way it's working so far? Glad to hear the red sea ones make the list.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's weird that your reef octopus isn't performing. Even the old generation with bubble blasters did great when I used them. My only guess as to why might be it needing a longer break in period or its currently oversized for the bioload at the moment.
If you can't retrofit it with a new varios (that may improve performance), a bubble magus elite or dare i say the old but bullet proof asm skimmers with a sicce will never stop working. Just lacks fancy bells and whistles you get for some of the more expensive good skimmers on the market.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can call Jeff at lifereef and ask him if his are OK for ozone use.
Simplicity makes a whole range of affordable dc skimmers that actually work. They have great customer service so I wouldn't hesitate to call them either.
I've used both.
Both work well, lifereef are bullet proof and you can use whatever pump you want.
You can probably find a used one relatively cheap and buy a new pump for it.
Just my 2 cents, nothing more.
I love my octopus. It never stops working, I've had no issues with it, easy to clean and silent which is good because it's in my bedroom. ;)
Best of luck.

OP
OP
TinnysReef

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's weird that your reef octopus isn't performing. Even the old generation with bubble blasters did great when I used them. My only guess as to why might be it needing a longer break in period or its currently oversized for the bioload at the moment.
If you can't retrofit it with a new varios (that may improve performance), a bubble magus elite or dare i say the old but bullet proof asm skimmers with a sicce will never stop working. Just lacks fancy bells and whistles you get for some of the more expensive good skimmers on the market.
Thank you. Yeah at first I thought could be a low bioload. But now I've got quite a few fish in there and the socks are filthy so I would expect SOMETHING to skim out.

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Life Reef skimmers rock. Jeff is great to work with, highly recommend.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back