Is this the right plumbing for 40 breeder?

ruxsir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up a DIY 40 breeder for soft corals.

Looking at the plumbing parts needed from BRS and PVC fittings online.

Using an Eshopps eclipse small and a single 3/4" return.

BRS doesn't have the 3/4" thread slip bulkhead in stock for the return to use the locline.

Is there anything I am missing? Want to achieve a similar plumbing plan like this video. ()

Attachments

• Shopping Cart.pdf
    393.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Shopping Cart - Bulk Reef Supply.pdf
    303.3 KB · Views: 15

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do a rough sketch of your plumbing plan to make sure you have the appropriate amount of PVC and fittings (the worst feeling when you realize you don't have enough and have to pause), otherwise this is a pretty straightforward exercise. I DIY'ed plumbing on my frag tank build if you want to check that out, it's step-by-step more or less.

I see how have a ball valve in your shopping cart - strongly recommend using a gate valve for your drain, and don't use any valve for your pump. Just use a DC pump so you can control output that way.

You also really do not need schedule 80 pipe or fittings if you can find properly sized schedule 40; schedule 80 is really only necessary for very large and/or closed loop systems with lots of pressure.

Do you have a diamond hole saw drill bit already?

Finally, make sure you have PVC cement and primer, as well as a PVC pipe cutter and some sandpaper to smooth the edges after cutting.

PVC pipe cutter, I use this myself works great: https://amzn.to/4bjTIDC
cement & primer: https://amzn.to/49VEu6A

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

ruxsir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do a rough sketch of your plumbing plan to make sure you have the appropriate amount of PVC and fittings (the worst feeling when you realize you don't have enough and have to pause), otherwise this is a pretty straightforward exercise. I DIY'ed plumbing on my frag tank build if you want to check that out, it's step-by-step more or less.

I see how have a ball valve in your shopping cart - strongly recommend using a gate valve for your drain, and don't use any valve for your pump. Just use a DC pump so you can control output that way.

You also really do not need schedule 80 pipe or fittings if you can find properly sized schedule 40; schedule 80 is really only necessary for very large and/or closed loop systems with lots of pressure.

Do you have a diamond hole saw drill bit already?

Finally, make sure you have PVC cement and primer, as well as a PVC pipe cutter and some sandpaper to smooth the edges after cutting.

PVC pipe cutter, I use this myself works great: https://amzn.to/4bjTIDC
cement & primer: https://amzn.to/49VEu6A
Is a gate valve worth the extra expense over the ball valve?

I really like the look of the schedule 80. I know there is colored schedule 40 PVC but I was having a hard time finding unions that would match.

Yes, I have a drill bit, pvc pipe cutter and cement and primer.

Thanks, I’ll check out your thread.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a gate valve worth the extra expense over the ball valve?

I really like the look of the schedule 80. I know there is colored schedule 40 PVC but I was having a hard time finding unions that would match.

Yes, I have a drill bit, pvc pipe cutter and cement and primer.

Thanks, I’ll check out your thread.
Yes, gate valve is 100% worth it. It is physically easier to manipulate the valve, and also easier to make more precise small adjustments to the drain flow rate to ensure a flawless match to your return pump output.

OP
OP
R

ruxsir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, gate valve is 100% worth it. It is physically easier to manipulate the valve, and also easier to make more precise small adjustments to the drain flow rate to ensure a flawless match to your return pump output.
Ok, cool. I’m going to go with a DC pump as well. So no valve needed on the return then?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, cool. I’m going to go with a DC pump as well. So no valve needed on the return then?
correct, the DC pump will/should come with a controller so a valve is useless and just creates another potential point of leak/failure and stresses the pump. Have you chosen a pump yet? If not, can heartily recommend the Reefbreeders Nautilus line of pumps, excellent value for $.

OP
OP
R

ruxsir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
correct, the DC pump will/should come with a controller so a valve is useless and just creates another potential point of leak/failure and stresses the pump. Have you chosen a pump yet? If not, can heartily recommend the Reefbreeders Nautilus line of pumps, excellent value for $.
I have not, I was leaning towards Sicce. Jebao also a thought. Haven’t looked at the reefbreeders brand, will have to check it out.

OP
OP
R

ruxsir

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the plumbing I came up with.

Everything glued together. Unions not completely tightened down just yet.

Will do a leak test soon. Need to silicone the sump baffles.

Hoping there are no leaks. Slightly concerned about the overflow box because there is a gap due to the gaskets on the interior and exterior. Assuming that is normal.

Attachments

• IMG_7341.jpeg
    IMG_7341.jpeg
    163.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7342.jpeg
    IMG_7342.jpeg
    144.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7343.jpeg
    IMG_7343.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7344.jpeg
    IMG_7344.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7346.jpeg
    IMG_7346.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7348.jpeg
    IMG_7348.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7351.jpeg
    IMG_7351.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7350.jpeg
    IMG_7350.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7353.jpeg
    IMG_7353.jpeg
    177.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7354.jpeg
    IMG_7354.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 1

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back