OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah those dos are noisy! Only took them eight years to finally come out with a quiet version. Avast recommends 24/7 stirring. Saves an outlet. Replacement motor is cheap if needed. It doesn’t use much power at all. It also keeps the sludge in motion as not to bog the motor at startup. Some run them 24/7, some don’t. No wrong way
Would love a quieter DOS but can't justify buying new ones for that reason alone, frustrating!

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the point of the stirring?
It's 2 or three fold depending on how you look at it. With a Kalk stirrer you're adding more kalk than can conceivably dissolve into the water, so the stirrer prevents the Calcium Hydroxide from caking together in a clump at the bottom, it keeps it suspended so it has more contact time, and that contact time helps insure potency

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's 2 or three fold depending on how you look at it. With a Kalk stirrer you're adding more kalk than can conceivably dissolve into the water, so the stirrer prevents the Calcium Hydroxide from caking together in a clump at the bottom, it keeps it suspended so it has more contact time, and that contact time helps insure potency
I would also imagine the closed environment prevents precipitation of calcium carbonate which inevitably occurs with exposure to air.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back