Massive dose of pods & phyto beat back the dinos

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been struggling with a nasty Dino outbreak for the last two months.nicely started as my cyano outbreak ceased(vinegar dosing triggered the cyano)
I've been pulling my hair out trying various methods, predominantly manual removal along with peroxide to no avail.
I hadn't fed phyto for a couple of months or added any pods but having found some bags of very lively pods at my LFS I added 10 bags plus started dosing the phyto heavily daily deciding to take the poss po4 rise due to ferts on the chin.

Fast forward two weeks I'm Dino free & my obese copperband has more pods than he knows what to do with.
The phyto/pods at ludicrous concentration & daily siphon into filter sock certainly worked for me!:)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
glad this method worked for you! i have a bit of cyano accumulating and weirdly enough some dinos (i'm getting a microscope to confirm and have on hand). before the microscope i was thinking of adding pods and phyto to the tank :).

OP
OP
Aquariumaddictuk

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
glad this method worked for you! i have a bit of cyano accumulating and weirdly enough some dinos (i'm getting a microscope to confirm and have on hand). before the microscope i was thinking of adding pods and phyto to the tank :).
Worth a try.
I added a LOT of pods & glugged in the phyto while monitoring po4 daily.
Skimmer was also offline during the initial "seeding".

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back