Maxspect XF330 Cloud x2 in IM150 Lagoon

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gearing up for the arrival of my new IM 150 EXT Lagoon next week. Right now, I’ve got a 60 gallon custom setup rocking a single MS xf330 powerhead on the back wall, which seems sufficient because my return pump is a tad overpowered and does a solid job creating good water flow on its own. But with the new tank on the horizon, I thought it’d be wise to add another XF 330. I'm planning to position it vertically at the back corners, aimed toward the front glass. I also have a spare Jabao gyre that I could set up horizontally on the back, firing forward to complement the setup. I’m thinking of running all three on a random flow setting to create a gyre flow effect. Has anyone tried using two XF 330s in a 150 or 200 gallon setup? Would love to hear about your experiences or any tips you might have.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue with the XF 330 is that the magnet is rated at 15mm. Your new IM tank is 15mm and that’s pushing the magnet to the maximum. I tried the 330 on my 15mm glass and it tended to move around. I went up to the 350, it is rated to 20mm glass and I don’t have the movement anymore.

OP
OP
AquaForge

AquaForge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One issue with the XF 330 is that the magnet is rated at 15mm. Your new IM tank is 15mm and that’s pushing the magnet to the maximum. I tried the 330 on my 15mm glass and it tended to move around. I went up to the 350, it is rated to 20mm glass and I don’t have the movement anymore.
Great point! I do design and manufacture 3D printed components for aquariums. I happen to have a large quantity of rare earth magnets that I could design a mount that would augment the 330.

Thanks for catching that. Is the flow ok?

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool that you can do that! I think the pumps have plenty of flow. I had the 330’s in my IM 120 and they would make waves

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back