Micro dose of flucozanole

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jimbo327 - OK. I get your point. Can you confirm that 200mg per 10 gal (1 capsule per 10 gal) will kill GHA quickly without harming any anemonies or toadstools? I'd much rather get rid of this stuff more quickly as long as it's safe.

At this point I'm at day 5 with the lower dose and my anemones are really looking bad. Several have dropped off the rock and are now sitting on the sand. All are very pulled in. Also have several toadstools that aren't happy. I don't know if this is because of the fluc, or the hair algae, or something else. Very frustrating. I've already lost several large euphyllia colonies to the hair algae and don't want to lose anything else.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of fluconazole for GHA/Bryopsis or fish disease, so I'm not against it at all. I used it to treat my own tank. I'm just saying this antifungal should be used at a dosage that works quickly, and then removed from the system via carbon, etc. We don't want any organisms to gain resistance to fluconazole because it is not killed by the medication (due to low dose or keeping in the system long term), and anything (i.e. mold) allowed to evolve to resist. Mold that can resist will be very bad for your health and home if you can't kill it.
IME, fluconazole used for GHA takes 21 days.
That's full dose, half dose, 1/4 dose, micro dose. In my experiences, which is really not long, it's 21 days. But I have also read that in numerous threads.

Would you rather do a micro dose or full dose knowing in the end it will have the same outcome?
Me, micro dose, and try not to upset the system to much.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
21 days for GHA is about right. I did half dose (1 capsule per 20gal). I don't have any anemones, so I can't say. But I didn't have any casualties when dosing Reef Flux at half dose for 21 days. I was battling bryopsis and GHA. And I did manually remove as much algae by hand as possible before I dosed. When the bryopsis/GHA melts, all that nutrients goes back into your tank. So I did run a little GFO during treatment. I ran carbon and ozone after 21 days to remove the fluconazole.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jimbo327 - OK. I get your point. Can you confirm that 200mg per 10 gal (1 capsule per 10 gal) will kill GHA quickly without harming any anemonies or toadstools? I'd much rather get rid of this stuff more quickly as long as it's safe.

At this point I'm at day 5 with the lower dose and my anemones are really looking bad. Several have dropped off the rock and are now sitting on the sand. All are very pulled in. Also have several toadstools that aren't happy. I don't know if this is because of the fluc, or the hair algae, or something else. Very frustrating. I've already lost several large euphyllia colonies to the hair algae and don't want to lose anything else.
What type of anemone is it?

My rainbow bbt didn't skip a beat when I initially dosed 2/3 full dose. Nor my clam, snails, shrimp, hermits, ect.

Because they pulled in right away I'm thinking it's the fluconazole.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a rose anemone, or rather a bunch of them (5-7). It's split many, many times over the years and I've even traded some back to the fish store. The last few weeks leading up to this it (they?) hasn't look good, but is much worse since I added the fluconazole. I continue to manually remove what I can, but only what can be siphoned off without brushing and removing no more than 1 or 2 gallons of water. Then I filter the water and put it back in the tank. I figured that adding fresh water at this point is like a water change and might help the algae out.

Yesterday they did look a bit better, not good but less bad, so maybe they are on the way back.

72.png

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. So it’s been 6 days since I did a micro dose for GHA. I only did 3/4 of a pill for 110 gallons. I know I could have done more but wanted to start slow. I am hesitant to add things like this to my tank. I know it takes awhile for it to work on GHA. Yesterday I think I noticed some of it turning white-ish on the tips. Maybe I was just thinking/ hoping it was!!

Attachments

• IMG_2575.jpeg
    IMG_2575.jpeg
    201.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2576.jpeg
    IMG_2576.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 12

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good news. We're about at the same point. I'm not seeing any visual changes yet, but I still try to siphon out part of the reef every other day and I'm seeing big wads of it being siphoned off so I'm also taking that as a good sign.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good news. We're about at the same point. I'm not seeing any visual changes yet, but I still try to siphon out part of the reef every other day and I'm seeing big wads of it being siphoned off so I'm also taking that as a good sign.
How is your anemone doing?

REEFRIED!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I’m 9 days in. I am not sure it’s working yet. The GHA is growing!! Today I am going to prune/scrub some back and add another pill or pill and a half. Then wait the three weeks from today to see what happens. I took some morning no lights pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2619.jpeg
    IMG_2619.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2621.jpeg
    IMG_2621.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 6

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also at the 9 day point. Not seeing growth, bt not dying either though I am able to siphon some off the rocks in clumps so hopefully it's working.

Bad thing is that I'm seeing bubbles on the rock when lights are out and the areas seem to be growing. That's telling me that the dinos are growing worse. I try to direct my siphon to those spots but doesn't seem to be helping any and may be making things worse. I've been dosing H202 twice a day (except when I forget) for several weeks now but doesn't seem to be helping. Last time I checked (several weeks ago) I had a mix of large and small cell amphidinium with some prorocentrum thrown in. Not sure about now so I'll have to check again.

I figure I'll wait for the two week mark before I add another dose of fluconazole.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also at the 9 day point. Not seeing growth, bt not dying either though I am able to siphon some off the rocks in clumps so hopefully it's working.

Bad thing is that I'm seeing bubbles on the rock when lights are out and the areas seem to be growing. That's telling me that the dinos are growing worse. I try to direct my siphon to those spots but doesn't seem to be helping any and may be making things worse. I've been dosing H202 twice a day (except when I forget) for several weeks now but doesn't seem to be helping. Last time I checked (several weeks ago) I had a mix of large and small cell amphidinium with some prorocentrum thrown in. Not sure about now so I'll have to check again.

I figure I'll wait for the two week mark before I add another dose of fluconazole.
Read up on dosing silicates too.

MickeyCT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a matter of fact, when this GHA problem first started I let it go because I thought it was diatom growth overrunning the dinos which would have been a good thing. By the time I realized it was GHA and not diatom growth it was too out of control. :anxious-face-with-sweat:

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back