I've made my rounds... Carry on.

Bye Bye Goodbye GIF by Studios 2016

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting on a computer upgrade today. Finally adding more RAM. It's been fine for my needs, but lately I've let the kids play Minecraft on it and it's showing it's weaknesses. I did some digging and researched the upgrade I need. Hopefully it's way faster. Will know in a few hours.

I have also noticed it takes a long time to slice 3d prints, takes forever to load some applications, opening pictures etc. So I'm hoping this helps.

Also later I need to add a dab of glue to hold down the frag plug to the mount on this big boy. The water movement will occasionally make this rock back and forth.
IMG_20240430_134416323.jpg

IMG_20240430_134410681.jpg

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting on a computer upgrade today. Finally adding more RAM. It's been fine for my needs, but lately I've let the kids play Minecraft on it and it's showing it's weaknesses. I did some digging and researched the upgrade I need. Hopefully it's way faster. Will know in a few hours.

I have also noticed it takes a long time to slice 3d prints, takes forever to load some applications, opening pictures etc. So I'm hoping this helps.

Also later I need to add a dab of glue to hold down the frag plug to the mount on this big boy. The water movement will occasionally make this rock back and forth.

I was just reading some gamer thread on humblefish yesterday and they were mentioning that they down load games for free but noticed a mall ware that’s attached and it installs in their pc.. it’s been causing them to slow down and over heat cause it’s mining bit coin lol..

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just reading some gamer thread on humblefish yesterday and they were mentioning that they down load games for free but noticed a mall ware that’s attached and it installs in their pc.. it’s been causing them to slow down and over heat cause it’s mining bit coin lol..
Yikes! I oversee all game activities, thankfully. I used to play a computer game or two, years ago before kids took all my time, and I used to download all sorts of mods and some from sketch sources. I'm hoping I could still sniff out a problem.

The kids think it's weird that I know how to install and use mods. Like I'm just some boring old lady who doesn't know the difference between computer or a shoe. It's hilarious.

However I don't understand mining Bitcoin and I'm not going to waste the precious memory space on learning anything about that. That'll break my fragile lil brain. :cool:

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0

How much are you bumping it up?

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much are you bumping it up?
From the stock original stick of 8gb to dual 16gb.

My first upgrade in so, so many years. I did make sure to match the voltage and check compatibility, and check the maximum it could handle. Hopefully I made the right choice.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
From the stock original stick of 8gb to dual 16gb.

My first upgrade in so, so many years. I did make sure to match the voltage and check compatibility, and check the maximum it could handle. Hopefully I made the right choice.
Should be a big difference then. I won't own a computer with less than 16. I can't believe they still sell them with 8 or less.

Most computers now have a SSD or NVMe drive, but if you're still running a platter drive, changing that makes a huge difference too.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be a big difference then. I won't own a computer with less than 16. I can't believe they still sell them with 8 or less.

Most computers now have a SSD or NVMe drive, but if you're still running a platter drive, changing that makes a huge difference too.
Well it's already 5 years old now, wow time flies. And games have really progressed in their basic requirements in the last few years so now I'm finally seeing the slow down.

What else should I or can I upgrade?

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Well it's already 5 years old now, wow time flies. And games have really progressed in their basic requirements in the last few years so now I'm finally seeing the slow down.

What else should I or can I upgrade?
It depends on the current specs. I've kept computers humming along for well over a decade playing games. Passed them down to my brother and nephew.

The hard drive is important too because of the read and write speeds. It's a real bottleneck. Sometimes just changing that makes an unbelievable difference.(HDD Platter drives are too slow for anything other than mass storage). Thankfully SSD drives are cheap enough manufacturers are not using platters as primary drives much anymore.

The graphics, is it integrated or a dedicated card?

CPU can be a limiting factor but most of the time it's the other things creating the slow downs.

See how the RAM upgrade goes, if it doesn't provide the performance boost you need, look at the others.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The research I did led me to believe that the RAM upgrade was the easiest, simplest without needing extra steps/work.

I do know that the graphics card is replaceable, it's probably scary outdated by now, AMD readon RX vega 8. I'm using the CPU-Z tool to find spec information.

I notice though, in the task monitor performance tab, the disk drive is running at 80-100% constantly. My uneducated self thinks this is bad. Yes? No? Sign of crappy drives?
IMG_20240501_092738092_HDR.jpg

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
The research I did led me to believe that the RAM upgrade was the easiest, simplest without needing extra steps/work.

I do know that the graphics card is replaceable, it's probably scary outdated by now, AMD readon RX vega 8. I'm using the CPU-Z tool to find spec information.

I notice though, in the task monitor performance tab, the disk drive is running at 80-100% constantly. My uneducated self thinks this is bad. Yes? No? Sign of crappy drives?
IMG_20240501_092738092_HDR.jpg
Yes, a platter drive and quite slow. It could be a number of different reasons or different programs trying to access the drive at the same time.

The graphics should be able to handle Minecraft, yeah it's aged but the HDD usage is a bottleneck.

Upgrading the hard drive isn't hard, but cloning the drive so you don't loose everything can be a challenge sometimes.

Usually there's software the manufacturer recommends for it that can walk you through it.

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like moar research is required.

Computer Baboon GIF

I really don't have much to save, all my pictures and files I'd want are right on the desktop, I have only a handful of programs i can back up also, and an empty 1tb drive I can move it all to. I'm thinking a fresh install with the upgrade would be easier than trying to transfer everything and risk losing it.

Last edited:

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Looks like moar research is required.

Computer Baboon GIF

I really don't have much to save, all my pictures and files I'd want are right on the desktop, I have only a handful of programs i can back up also, and an empty 1tb drive I can move it all to. I'm thinking a fresh install with the upgrade would be easier than trying to transfer everything and risk losing it.
I love fresh installs, nice and clean and no bloat. It should drop the HD usage for awhile too, once windows is done updating .... Once you start installing things again it may get get back up to constant usage.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 33 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back