Need Help with Shrinking Orange Yuma Mushroom Coral issue

dwc72890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to seek advice on an issue I'm facing with one of my Yuma mushroom corals. Recently, my orange Yuma has started to shrink noticeably over the past week. I've tried relocating it within the tank, but there hasn't been any improvement. Interestingly, the green Yuma in the same tank is thriving.

Here's a summary of my tank conditions:

- **Size**: 13.5 gallons

- **Lighting**: AI Prime HD16 set at 60%, running for 10 hours per day

- **Water Parameters**:

- **NO3**: 0 ppm

- **PO4**: 0.01 ppm

- **Salinity**: 1.025

- **KH**: 7.7 dKH

All my other corals are doing fine under these conditions.

I'm attaching a picture of both the green and orange Yuma for reference. The green one is doing great, but as you can see, the orange one is not. Any thoughts or suggestions on what might be causing this issue and how to address it would be greatly appreciated!
IMG_4402.jpeg

IMG_4403.jpeg

IMG_4276.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemical warfare?

Are you running carbon to filter out the chemicals that the coral can release?

OP
OP
D

dwc72890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try dosing nitrate and phosphate. I use neophos and neonitro. could help. I keep nitrate 2-5 and phos around 0.03
Thank you, I don’t really have those in hands . Can I maybe feed the fish a bit more food to increase the No3 and po4?

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I don’t really have those in hands . Can I maybe feed the fish a bit more food to increase the No3 and po4?
It might. Amazon has both of those. They work great. start at a low dose and titrate up until you reach your goal. I usually dosed them twice a week.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO nutrients are low. I’d target feed with reef roids/benereef, mushrooms are little pigs and love nutrients/eating.

Also, your lighting in that spot might be too bright for the orange mushrooms’ preference. What % do you have the cool white set to in the AI app?

tritonpower

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the light issue. I actually use high lights to suppress their growth since I have so many. Once they get going they can really take off. Of all my ricordia the orange have grown the fastest. I started with one and now have over a dozen. Be sure to put it on a rock island of some sort.

OP
OP
D

dwc72890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO nutrients are low. I’d target feed with reef roids/benereef, mushrooms are little pigs and love nutrients/eating.

Also, your lighting in that spot might be too bright for the orange mushrooms’ preference. What % do you have the cool white set to in the AI app?
IMG_3888.png

Here is my light setting .for the white like I usually set it 10-15%
I have moved it to the other side of the tank which has less light . Will see how it doing tonight when I’m get home .
Thank you for the advice:)

OP
OP
D

dwc72890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the light issue. I actually use high lights to suppress their growth since I have so many. Once they get going they can really take off. Of all my ricordia the orange have grown the fastest. I started with one and now have over a dozen. Be sure to put it on a rock island of some sort

I moved it to the other side of the rock, which has less light . Will see how it goes tonight. Thank you :)

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back