New Frag Health

Nathaniellund17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently ordered some frags online and am concerned about their health. I know it takes time for coral to acclimate to new conditions as well as get past the stress of being shipped. These frags have been in my display for about 2 weeks now, and have not shown much signs of adding any color. There's one that almost appears to be having some RTN at the base. Hopefully it's just me being pessimistic.

My parameters have been stable now with the tank being just over 3 years old.
Salinity - 1.026
Ph - 8.3 at height, then drops to 8.1 at low
Temp - 78.1 to 78.5
Alk - 8.8
Calcium - 450
Mg - 1,500
Nitrate - 9
Phosphate - .05

As for lighting, I have 2 Pro XR30s, and 2 Blue XR30s. I'm using a parwise meter to measure the par - and all of the coral are sitting between 280 and 400 par. When I consulted with the online store, they mentioned I could start the coral off lower in the tank, then slowly raise them up to the higher par, but then they'd miss out on the flow. They agreed that it's more important to give the coral good flow, which they'd miss out on at the lower levels of the tank.

The video for 1443 is the one that I believe has some RTN at the base - also attaching a picture.

Coral 1.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1443.mov
    8.9 MB
  • IMG_1445.mov
    17.4 MB
OP
OP
N

Nathaniellund17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's all over your rocks, are those aptaisia's? They will irritate corals
They are aiptasia, but from what I can tell, none are coming right up next to the coral yet - when I see some getting close, I use aiptasia X on them. I've added some berghia's to the tank, so I imagine that issue will be solved in a few weeks/months.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try running some carbon. Those aiptasia and the ones you killed may be releasing some toxins into the water.

Also, some Flatworm Stop might help. It seems to cause sps to “beef up” their defenses/skin regardless of having AEFW or not.

-Matt

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back