Tritie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would avoid siporax in a denitrator - please see here and some pages forward

Sincerely Lasse
I don't have a problem with silicates. In fact, the Siporax has been there for over a year and my silicates were always absent on ICP. That is until I started dosing silicates to force a diatom bloom for a dino problem. It didn't work, I had over 12ppm of silcate for months and no diatoms. I stopped dosing and now my silicates are down to 10.7 with just normal water changes. The siporax is still in there. I am confident in saying it has no significant impact to the amount of silicate in my system.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The siporax is still in there. I am confident in saying it has no significant impact to the amount of silicate in my system.
It is a difference if you have your siporax in aerobic or anaerobic environment. It is also my experiences that siporex in aerobic environment (there is oxygen gas present) will not leak any silicates but in a denitrator ( like the one in this thread) the environment is anaerobic (no oxygen gas present) and in this case - it leaks a lot of silicates - see my ICP tests below

1713096971879.png

Sincerely Lasse

Tritie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a difference if you have your siporax in aerobic or anaerobic environment. It is also my experiences that siporex in aerobic environment (there is oxygen gas present) will not leak any silicates but in a denitrator ( like the one in this thread) the environment is anaerobic (no oxygen gas present) and in this case - it leaks a lot of silicates - see my ICP tests below

1713096971879.png

Sincerely Lasse
Interesting. I'll still give it a shot, but I'll put it in the beginning line-up. Thank you for clarifying this!

stambo3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huge thank you to Mr Donovan for his contribution to our hobby - continue to RIP sir.

I created mines after stumbling onto this thread after I’ve upgraded to my 140g (3’7''x2’4''x2’4'') Coral Reef Aquarium 11 months ago. With a huge fish load and heavy feedings, I’ve climbed to about 100+ nitrates And holding steady there. Fishes are acting fine . So I wanted to keep nitrates down since I can’t do massive water changes (no room for 20 gallons water tanks). I haven't done a water change in 2 months.

So about 3 weeks ago, I put in-line the DND and started dosing MICROBE-LIFT Special Blend 118ml for a week along with 6mL vodka daily . Took about 1 weeks to see the effluent nitrate level drop to 0. Took about 2 weeks to see the nitrate level in the tank dropped to 1-5 ppm and stayed there. I stopped dosing vodka. I only have LPS and soft corals. They weren't happy at first, but when the system settled in, they all began to visibly grow.
Copied part of the text from "Joj" / accept my thanks / because I don't know English and I use Google translator, for which I ask you to forgive.

Attachments

• DND.jpg
    DND.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 12

Keecha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I completely read through this topic several weeks ago with great anticipation. I was then shocked to read that Donavan is no longer with us. May he rest in peace.

My adventure with my reef (185g/700 liters) started exactly 1 year ago tomorrow. Meanwhile, I have been suffering from too high nitrate (130-160) for several months. Due to a faulty test set I was unaware of any harm and let it get too far. After the loss of a couple of corals I find out there was something wrong. I tried many things (cheato, caulerpa, self made NoPox, sulfur,...), but without success. Then I had landed on this topic....

2 weeks ago I built my own Donovan's Nitrate Destroyer (4 inch/10 cm diameter, 20 inch/50 cm hight). I used ceramic rings and filter substrate to fill the tubes. Dosed bacteria for the first 5 days and VSV from day 3 (started with 5ml, now 12ml through a doser) After a few days the outlet was already running less smoothly and slime was coming out. So I thought this will work, the bacteria are multiplying and my nitrate will go down in no time. Not yet ....

Yellow tube: Manual input for bacteria
Pink tube: automatic VSV dosing
Clear tube: tank water from the return manifold
White tube: output in return chamber

IMG_20240429_193316.jpg
IMG_20240429_193325.jpg
IMG_20240513_203909.jpg

Last Thursday I did a test of the water coming from the destroyer, and I noticed a reduction. Since the water was only coming out drop by drop and sometimes it didn't run at all, I accelerated it to a ticker stream. Also because I read that the last chamber needs to be air tight. However, the nitrate value from the destroyer has increased again and I am not getting any other results. Not even when I test after waiting 30min between dosing VSV.

Have I done something wrong or overlooked something?
Other in this topic had some results after two weeks, or am I
I would love to have some advice from people who have run a successful destroyer.
Thanks in advance for the necessary feedback!

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your system/design looks good. The fact that you've identified that your reactor was reducing NO3, at least at one point, would indicate that you're on the right track. It took me 49 days to get my DT NO3 down from 75 to 13 using my 'destroyer'. You basically need to 'play round' with the flow rate and carbon dose until it starts reducing your DT NO3, at which point you'll be able to reduce one or both for a maintenance level. I use only vodka and started with 5ml/day, ramped up to 20ml/day at the peak and after reducing my DT NO3 to around 10, I'm maintaining it at 4ml/day (on a 120g DT with 55g sump). As it apparently takes a higher dose of vinegar to match the results of vodka, I'm assuming it would be similar for VSV, but I haven't used VSV. I would expect you may need to increase your carbon source, and possibly slow your flow, especially as your system is 50% larger than mine, but your mileage certainly may vary.

Just be patient with it and keep tweaking your input/output as necessary. You'll get there and you won't have to worry about those high NO3 levels again.

Keecha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your system/design looks good. The fact that you've identified that your reactor was reducing NO3, at least at one point, would indicate that you're on the right track. It took me 49 days to get my DT NO3 down from 75 to 13 using my 'destroyer'. You basically need to 'play round' with the flow rate and carbon dose until it starts reducing your DT NO3, at which point you'll be able to reduce one or both for a maintenance level. I use only vodka and started with 5ml/day, ramped up to 20ml/day at the peak and after reducing my DT NO3 to around 10, I'm maintaining it at 4ml/day (on a 120g DT with 55g sump). As it apparently takes a higher dose of vinegar to match the results of vodka, I'm assuming it would be similar for VSV, but I haven't used VSV. I would expect you may need to increase your carbon source, and possibly slow your flow, especially as your system is 50% larger than mine, but your mileage certainly may vary.

Just be patient with it and keep tweaking your input/output as necessary. You'll get there and you won't have to worry about those high NO3 levels again.

Thanks for the confirmation and the fact that indeed it just takes more time :).
You automatically start comparing systems to each other even though they are very different.
Yesterday I also bought an extra valve to better manage the incoming flow. I will then indeed play around with the input/output/VSV dosing.

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the confirmation and the fact that indeed it just takes more time :).
You automatically start comparing systems to each other even though they are very different.
Yesterday I also bought an extra valve to better manage the incoming flow. I will then indeed play around with the input/output/VSV dosing.
Getting a precise enough input valve (without spending $100+) is probably the most challenging part of the design, at least that's my experience. Once you get thru the initial stage and get it 'dialed in', it's pretty much on auto-pilot. Keep at it and you'll get there.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting read. Question which might be answered somewhere in this thread is are the caps for each tower permanently glued or just snapped on? As there’s talk about pressurizing the towers I’m thinking the former.

blazn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine that you could glue the caps, but I don't, mine just press down into place and it would take quite a bit more water pressure than exists to force them out. I wouldn't want them glued, as you'll most likely need to get inside at some point down the line.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine that you could glue the caps, but I don't, mine just press down into place and it would take quite a bit more water pressure than exists to force them out. I wouldn't want them glued, as you'll most likely need to get inside at some point down the line.
OK, that was my take as well. Having access to the insides would be useful. Thanks.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 32 21.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 35 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 39 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back