Possum Wrasse Penthouse: IM 50 Lagoon EXT Build

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your possum centric build! And great tank, too.

A yasha is perfect for pairing with a candy cane. Highly recommended!
PXL_20230804_231508916.jpg
PXL_20230815_185000332.jpg
PXL_20230710_210028600.MP.jpg

It is pretty normal to be dealing with that level of algae and dinos when you start with dry white rocks. It'll be a slog for a while until you build up enough or a coral population (and macroa, sponges,whatever else) that will consume nutrients in place of algae.

In the meantime, if you need to nuke the algae, fluconazole (Flux Rx) + air stone + PNS Probio has worked well for me. I also add diluted Fiji Mud (or Aquaforest Lifesource) to the display, knowing full well that it carries bristleworm eggs--but the diversity spike is, I speculate, very beneficial. For a more natural management, I would go with 2-3 Mexican tirbo snails. Clean off the rocks manually once and let then let them keep the lawn mowed. Tuxedo urchins are a bit sensitive to parameter swings in tanks, especially salinity, but I also understand nitrates, so I shy away from them in newer tanks unless you keep vigilant. Turbos do just as well in my experience. Otherwise getting the coraline going by keeping ALK and Ca up helps. Going for gold: buy a Tampa Bay Saltwater treasure chest and let the ocean rocks seed everything in the tank. QT the rocks for a bit in the beginning if you're worried about pests and you'll be well on your way! My 2p.

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your possum centric build! And great tank, too.

A yasha is perfect for pairing with a candy cane. Highly recommended!
PXL_20230804_231508916.jpg
PXL_20230815_185000332.jpg
PXL_20230710_210028600.MP.jpg

It is pretty normal to be dealing with that level of algae and dinos when you start with dry white rocks. It'll be a slog for a while until you build up enough or a coral population (and macroa, sponges,whatever else) that will consume nutrients in place of algae.

In the meantime, if you need to nuke the algae, fluconazole (Flux Rx) + air stone + PNS Probio has worked well for me. I also add diluted Fiji Mud (or Aquaforest Lifesource) to the display, knowing full well that it carries bristleworm eggs--but the diversity spike is, I speculate, very beneficial. For a more natural management, I would go with 2-3 Mexican tirbo snails. Clean off the rocks manually once and let then let them keep the lawn mowed. Tuxedo urchins are a bit sensitive to parameter swings in tanks, especially salinity, but I also understand nitrates, so I shy away from them in newer tanks unless you keep vigilant. Turbos do just as well in my experience. Otherwise getting the coraline going by keeping ALK and Ca up helps. Going for gold: buy a Tampa Bay Saltwater treasure chest and let the ocean rocks seed everything in the tank. QT the rocks for a bit in the beginning if you're worried about pests and you'll be well on your way! My 2p.
Thanks so much for your input! Love the yasha, so cute - it's on my potential stock plans actually.

My first reef from 2020 I avoided the uglies entirely by cycling the rocks in a bucket for a couple months before setting up the tank (and then also didn't stock it with anything for ages so there was no nutrient input which was its own can of worms...) So this is my first time having a reef with livestock added to new dry rock. Not really sure what to expect in terms of normal amounts of algae; glad to hear you think this isn't out of the ordinary.

My astraeas are doing a good job keeping the clear areas of the rock that way at least.

I have had low alk and Ca in this tank (think I must have used a bad bag of salt to start it, since my alk started at 7 and my Ca at 310. Been dosing those up and sitting at 8.5ish on alk and 365 on Ca now (aiming to get to 400ish); hopefully that will help out the coralline.

Beautiful corals in your tank!

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tux won't move your rock, but it will devour that algae! Be warned though: it eats all algae, even coraline. I've had mine bulldoze some coral too, knocking them off if they weren't glued down properly. Mine broke an arm off my digitata too.

Good luck!

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS 5-13-24
IMG_20240513_192746.jpg

I have been pulling algae out daily... I think the tank looking better bit by bit.
It doesn't seem to be regrowing much and I see my snails and hermits working on the areas I've pulled.

Zoas are not thrilled currently; I think the algae is taking up all the nutrients from them. Wary to dose it up in case the algae just takes off again but seems to be what is needed?
Tested last night at
pH 8.2
KH 8
PO4 0.1
NO3 0

Rutherford is still not entirely sure about his new roommate, still some flaring and tail wagging at him. I see them hanging out near each other without fighting quite often as well though so fingers crossed that's okay. The hector's does actually have a split in his fin as of this morning which I'm upset about, hope they aren't actually going to have a problem.
He doesn't seem scared at all though and actually flares up in response if Rutherford comes at him.

Very funny earlier today when they encountered each other and rather than engaging with him, Rutherford swam off into one of his caves where I could see him wriggling angrily to himself!

Hoping for some advice on my remaining stocklist, as well as coral placement too!

Coral-wise, I have:
- few varieties of zoa
- duncan
- acan
- favites
- ricordea florida
- pink birdsnest
- red monti cap
- porites (darth maul I think?)

I am thinking the zoas can go on the same rock as my RFAs, correct? And then also thinking of putting them on the base of the arch at the left side of the tank. I believe I read that acans can go near zoas as well?

Favites are isolated on their own island in the sandbed, as I understand they are very aggressive (and mine has taken over the rock I put it on quite fast...)

At the top of the scape I envision pink and green birdsnest colonies... Maybe an acro down the road if I feel up for it! I'd like a clam as well if everything goes well, so that can go up near the top also.

The monti and porites I'm not sure about... I know the porites doesn't need much light, so somewhere in the bottom 1/3 of the tank?
Monti I'm thinking kind of round the back left, so it's visible from the front as it plates out more?

Coral placement and understanding who can go next to each other without killing is still very new to me!
coral placement.png

In terms of the fish, my very tentative list is as follows (bold = already have, italic = uncertain about):

1: possum wrasse
2: hector's goby
3: red firefish - I really like this fish; I had one in QT with my hector's but lost him :(
4: royal gramma - I love the colours on this, and I understand it's supposed to be peaceful?
5: Yellow nose goby (Stonogobiops nematodes) - hoping to get a pair of these if my LFS gets them in again!

Considering (wouldn't get all of these!):
Blue neon goby - it's cute, it's small, it has a blue colour I haven't added yet; but will it be too similar to my hector's and fight? Also not sure about the fact so many of these fish have the same body shape!

Flasher wrasse? McCosker's or Carpenter's. I'm not sure the tank is big enough for these guys - I have seen between 40 - 50 gallons listed, but also that they flash less in tanks less than 3' long (mine is 2' 6"). Thoughts on this?

Springeri damsel OR blue green chromis: These are nice blue fish that have a different shape than the other selections. Supposed to be peaceful but I have seen mixed reviews on that front. Chromis I know has the uronema issue; I'd definitely buy it preconditioned to mitigate that. I am concerned about the potential aggression here though!

Yellow headed jawfish: these are so cute! But would my tank have enough sandbed territory for one of these + the shrimp-goby pair? I have a decently deep sandbed; it's ~1" in the front and 2-3" at the back.

Cherub angel: this is really the wildcard on my list... I know they are a risk with LPS and clams but the cherub seems to have a good track record? This is probably also the most aggressive fish I'm considering by far. I would only be interested in a captive bred specimen and would add it last to the tank, probably not for another year or so. Doable or a bad idea?

I'm also open to any fish suggestions I haven't considered!

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add this to my previous post but it was getting long enough anyway!

I have been testing out my protein skimmer (from IOAOI) in a bucket of old saltwater; really happy with how quiet it is and the build quality seems nice. It's been running since Sunday now and I am still getting a ton of microbubbles in the bucket; I guess it's still just breaking in?

Not sure since I've never had a skimmer before what I'm aiming for when I adjust it! It has been pulling some skimmate already; very pale since my water doesn't have much in it but I'm pleased to see it anyway :)

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral-wise, I have:
- few varieties of zoa
- duncan
- acan
- favites
- ricordea florida
- pink birdsnest
- red monti cap

I am thinking the zoas can go on the same rock as my RFAs, correct? Zoas are fine around RFAs. And then also thinking of putting them on the base of the arch at the left side of the tank. I believe I read that acans can go near zoas as well? I've seen acans hold their own against zoas.

Favites are isolated on their own island in the sandbed, as I understand they are very aggressive (and mine has taken over the rock I put it on quite fast...) Good move. You've got nice space in the other corner for a pectinia or large-ish meat coral if you move those zoas on the sand bed!

At the top of the scape I envision pink and green birdsnest colonies... Easy peasy. Remember though that they grow a lot, so plan ahead or you'll end up with this mess!
1715718079929.jpeg

Maybe an acro down the road if I feel up for it! I'd like a clam as well if everything goes well, so that can go up near the top also. A crocea or a maxima would work in that spot if they stay put. Probably the best spot for them since they need Acro levels of light (or more, better). The photon may be OK for them, but you'd probably be even better with an extra light over them, like a Kessil with a reflector to shine a spotlight on them. With the cone of light, you could probably do two different clams on the top of that rock. Just spitballing. Clams have broken my heart, though, and I haven't been able to keep them (currently suspect a clam predator in the tank) so gather other opinions!

The monti and porites I'm not sure about... I know the porites doesn't need much light, so somewhere in the bottom 1/3 of the tank?
Monti I'm thinking kind of round the back left, so it's visible from the front as it plates out more? Monti will shade everything below it, so plan accordingly. I put an NPS coral, fat head dendro, below my red monti cap. It's doing fine.

Coral placement and understanding who can go next to each other without killing is still very new to me! Looks pretty good! Maybe make some back-up spaces in case you want to add something later. For example, I wanted a garf bonsai as soon as I saw one--no space for it, so it's right there in the middle of the birdsnests, stylo and monti digitatas!
coral placement.png

In terms of the fish, my very tentative list is as follows (bold = already have, italic = uncertain about):

3: red firefish - I really like this fish; I had one in QT with my hector's but lost him :(
4: royal gramma - I love the colours on this, and I understand it's supposed to be peaceful?
5: Yellow nose goby (Stonogobiops nematodes) - hoping to get a pair of these if my LFS gets them in again!

Blue neon goby - it's cute, it's small, it has a blue colour I haven't added yet; but will it be too similar to my hector's and fight? Also not sure about the fact so many of these fish have the same body shape!

Flasher wrasse? McCosker's or Carpenter's. I'm not sure the tank is big enough for these guys - I have seen between 40 - 50 gallons listed, but also that they flash less in tanks less than 3' long (mine is 2' 6"). Thoughts on this? Generally not recommended as their flashing behavior is specifically zooming from one end to the other. It'd be like a Lamborghini flooring it and immediately slamming the breaks all the time. I'm on the fence about adding a flasher to my 3' tank, and some recommend flashers in 5'-6' tanks. Maybe a pintail fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus isosceles) or dusky fairy (Cirrhilabrus brunneus)?

Springeri damsel OR blue green chromis: These are nice blue fish that have a different shape than the other selections. Supposed to be peaceful but I have seen mixed reviews on that front. Chromis I know has the uronema issue; I'd definitely buy it preconditioned to mitigate that. I am concerned about the potential aggression here though!

Yellow headed jawfish: these are so cute! But would my tank have enough sandbed territory for one of these + the shrimp-goby pair? I have a decently deep sandbed; it's ~1" in the front and 2-3" at the back.

Cherub angel: this is really the wildcard on my list... I know they are a risk with LPS and clams but the cherub seems to have a good track record? This is probably also the most aggressive fish I'm considering by far. I would only be interested in a captive bred specimen and would add it last to the tank, probably not for another year or so. Doable or a bad idea? Clam(s) and other corals might be on the menu.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS 5-13-24
IMG_20240513_192746.jpg

I have been pulling algae out daily... I think the tank looking better bit by bit.
It doesn't seem to be regrowing much and I see my snails and hermits working on the areas I've pulled.

Zoas are not thrilled currently; I think the algae is taking up all the nutrients from them. Wary to dose it up in case the algae just takes off again but seems to be what is needed?
Tested last night at
pH 8.2
KH 8
PO4 0.1
NO3 0

Rutherford is still not entirely sure about his new roommate, still some flaring and tail wagging at him. I see them hanging out near each other without fighting quite often as well though so fingers crossed that's okay. The hector's does actually have a split in his fin as of this morning which I'm upset about, hope they aren't actually going to have a problem.
He doesn't seem scared at all though and actually flares up in response if Rutherford comes at him.

Very funny earlier today when they encountered each other and rather than engaging with him, Rutherford swam off into one of his caves where I could see him wriggling angrily to himself!

Hoping for some advice on my remaining stocklist, as well as coral placement too!

Coral-wise, I have:
- few varieties of zoa
- duncan
- acan
- favites
- ricordea florida
- pink birdsnest
- red monti cap

I am thinking the zoas can go on the same rock as my RFAs, correct? And then also thinking of putting them on the base of the arch at the left side of the tank. I believe I read that acans can go near zoas as well?

Favites are isolated on their own island in the sandbed, as I understand they are very aggressive (and mine has taken over the rock I put it on quite fast...)

At the top of the scape I envision pink and green birdsnest colonies... Maybe an acro down the road if I feel up for it! I'd like a clam as well if everything goes well, so that can go up near the top also.

Monti I'm thinking kind of round the back left, so it's visible from the front as it plates out more?

Coral placement and understanding who can go next to each other without killing is still very new to me!
coral placement.png

Flasher wrasse? McCosker's or Carpenter's. I'm not sure the tank is big enough for these guys - I have seen between 40 - 50 gallons listed, but also that they flash less in tanks less than 3' long (mine is 2' 6"). Thoughts on this?

Cherub angel: this is really the wildcard on my list... I know they are a risk with LPS and clams but the cherub seems to have a good track record? This is probably also the most aggressive fish I'm considering by far. I would only be interested in a captive bred specimen and would add it last to the tank, probably not for another year or so. Doable or a bad idea?

Nice start. And nice tank. I have a soft spot for IM tanks myself. My 2 previous were Nuvo 30l and SR60 both AIO before moving up. As far as fish go I’m big on wrasses and I have a love/hate relationship with my jawfish(recommend at least 2-3 inches sandbed). I’d stay away from any angels myself but if you’re willing to take a chance the Cherub is among the best bets. Other wrasses to consider would be smaller Halichoeres wrasses like the misnamed Yellow Coris or maybe a leopard wrasse.

OP
OP
saltcats

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your detailed response!

Clam-wise it would be a crocea for sure. I think the photon can put out enough PAR from what I've read but I do want to check that area with a par meter before I commit. That spot is centered under the light so should get blasted the most!

I love your colourful mix of SPS!

I'd love to add a scoly or lobo at some point as well.

The flasher wrasse is out then; I was pretty sure on that already but it surprised me to see them suggested for a 40 breeder footprint, which is not that far off mine, so I wanted to double check.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your detailed response!

Clam-wise it would be a crocea for sure. I think the photon can put out enough PAR from what I've read but I do want to check that area with a par meter before I commit. That spot is centered under the light so should get blasted the most!

I love your colourful mix of SPS!

I'd love to add a scoly or lobo at some point as well.

The flasher wrasse is out then; I was pretty sure on that already but it surprised me to see them suggested for a 40 breeder footprint, which is not that far off mine, so I wanted to double check.
Yeah, mine is 40 breeder size, and I've been really on the fence about a Carpenter... but I think I have to pass. Instead, I am thinking of fairies that would work in that space, like C. lubbocki, C. brunneus, C. isosceles, and maybe a C. exquisitus. In your tank I'd be worried that a lubbocki or exquisitus decides it wants to be the boss and then gives your possum a hard time--but maybe not!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 24.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back