ReeFi Uno 2.0 Pro users...

saltcreep74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for all you Reefi users...

Currently, I have 2 - XR15 Pro GEN 5's on a Hybrid T5 fixture running on my 36x24x20 SPS tank...I'll be making the switch to the new UNO 2.1's really soon... Unfortunately, I can only afford 1 UNO fixture now to replace my 2 XR15's.

For my size of tank and corals, would I be ok with only running 1 fixture and the T5's or would I need 2 fixtures for SPS? They will be mounted at 11 inches from the water and will have them on the 120 degree reflectors.

javajaws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x or 4x T5s? You'll probably be fine with one depending on what SPS you get and where you put them. You might run into issues along the outer left/right edge after they grow out - but again depends on what you put there. Keep your millis more in the middle, etc. You can always add another in a year or two if you decide you need more on the edge then. I'd probably still use the 90 reflectors and only use the 120 ones (included I believe) if you can measure PAR see if they are better for your use.

OP
OP
saltcreep74

saltcreep74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x or 4x T5s? You'll probably be fine with one depending on what SPS you get and where you put them. You might run into issues along the outer left/right edge after they grow out - but again depends on what you put there. Keep your millis more in the middle, etc. You can always add another in a year or two if you decide you need more on the edge then. I'd probably still use the 90 reflectors and only use the 120 ones (included I believe) if you can measure PAR see if they are better for your use.
thanks for the advise...I think i'll stay with 1 Uno and the Hybrid and test for PAR...My SPS are mostly 1 inch frags I picked up a couple weeks ago...

Miyagi Tort
Cali Tort
ORA Pearlberry
Tyree tricolor
Aquamarine Jewel
Bill Murray
Ultimate shortcake
Rainbow Stylo

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have a lot of power, but not necessarily more coverage than a Radion. I’m running 3 over my 6 foot acro tank with Halides between them.

They’re great lights, but I’d take two Radions over one UNO any day. If you plan to have wall to wall acros, I’d eventually get 2.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just doing the angle calculations...

At 120 degrees, to cover a 3' spread, you would need to hang the fixture about 10 1/2" above the tank. Of course you'll get some spill out the front and back of the tank that way.

I'm also curious about whether the hybrid is 2 or 4 bulbs. A 3 foot 4 bulb T5 fixture would grow most things by itself, so that helps your situation.

To echo bob above, if I already had 2 XR15s, I wouldn't trade them for 1 Uno if performance was the only factor. The Uno probably will have less glare, though.

OP
OP
saltcreep74

saltcreep74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just doing the angle calculations...

At 120 degrees, to cover a 3' spread, you would need to hang the fixture about 10 1/2" above the tank. Of course you'll get some spill out the front and back of the tank that way.

I'm also curious about whether the hybrid is 2 or 4 bulbs. A 3 foot 4 bulb T5 fixture would grow most things by itself, so that helps your situation.

To echo bob above, if I already had 2 XR15s, I wouldn't trade them for 1 Uno if performance was the only factor. The Uno probably will have less glare, though.
Ideally, I would want 2 UNO units to replace the 2 XR15's.. financially, I can only afford 1 UNO unit for now. Just want to make sure I'll be ok since I've recently added a few 1-inch SPS frags.

Right now got my XR15's set to 90% intensity.....and feel I'll need to either add another XR15 or switch to a XR30 as I add more SPS to my tank...that's why I'm even considering the UNO's...I would rather have 2 fixtures over my 3 foot tank than 3.

I run them in a Giesemann Hybrid fixture with 4xT5's. 2 x Blue+ and 2 Coral+ and the fixture sits exactly 11 inches from the water surface so the 120 degree reflector would be ideal for my setup.

The trade in reason also has to do with Mobius time drift....I've done everything and it still happens...it's really bugging me.

Thanks for your feedback...definitely some things to consider.

Salty-

OP
OP
saltcreep74

saltcreep74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea on testing out the reflectors...will plan test PAR on both as soon as I get my hands on a meter...

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally, I would want 2 UNO units to replace the 2 XR15's.
Is this a case of FOMO? or is there a legitimate reason why you want to take a set of lights that you already have and spend more money just to replace them.

Is the cost of 2-3 reefi's less than adding 1 xr15?

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those 4x T5 are almost enough light for acros alone on that tank. How long are you running them?

The radians are at 90% on all channels? That plus the t5 would be over 1000 par if I was guessing. If you really want more intensity get the narrow reflectors for the radions.

OP
OP
saltcreep74

saltcreep74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a case of FOMO? or is there a legitimate reason why you want to take a set of lights that you already have and spend more money just to replace them.

This:

Right now got my XR15's set to 90% intensity.....and feel I'll need to either add another XR15 or switch to a XR30 as I add more SPS to my tank...that's why I'm even considering the UNO's
and this:

The trade in reason also has to do with Mobius CONSTANT time drift error.....

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This:

Right now got my XR15's set to 90% intensity.....and feel I'll need to either add another XR15 or switch to a XR30 as I add more SPS to my tank...that's why I'm even considering the UNO's
and this:

The trade in reason also has to do with Mobius CONSTANT time drift error.....
I see.

I don't want to say with certainty that reefi's have their own problems. There are a few locals that use them and they've had issues that required sending them back for repairs. This left them without lights while the repairs took place.

This very well may be "one offs", however, it's enlightening. Because few people have reefi's and when issues arise, the folks that took a chance on the light aren't as inclined to speak about it like they would with the more popular brands. That makes the playing field skewed and can lead to trading in a clock drift issue for far worse problems.

That's basically the premise of my question. I too own radion lights and grow tired of the promise of solving the issues associated with them, but that might be a small price to pay to ensure corals don't go without light while repairs are underway.

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do two Reefis over your tank. I have the same foot print and run two with 90* reeflectors, plus two quantas bars. I was in the same boat as you and had 2 xr15's and found they didnt have nearly the enough power I thought they would. Reefi absolutely blows them out of the water! I also had an xr30 g6 that left alot to be desired, sold that and bought a third reefi for my frag tank..

in terms of people having issues... any brand is subject to warranty work here and there... Reefi is a solid up and coming product.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 reefi to get started would be fine I think, you can always raise the light up higher to increase the spread, and crank the wattage up, I'm getting 100par in 27inches of water and 300par at 12inches running about 140watts at peak of the 270 available mounted 12 inches above water line, using 90degree reflectors. I run 4 uno 2.0's over an 8ft mixed reef. New Reflectors should be here today, looking forward to getting them installed.

klc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 Reefi failures in 6 months. I'm a little upset. The solution: buy a spare to keep in the closet for when it happens again, or go back to MH.

And you will need more units than you think you will to eliminate shadows. I have 3 over a 2x4 sps tank, I really could use 6. It isn't about par it's about the shadows.

I

Last edited:
OP
OP
saltcreep74

saltcreep74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 Reefi failures in 6 months. I'm a little upset. The solution: buy a spare to keep in the closet for when it happens again, or go back to MH.

And you will need more units than you think you will to eliminate shadows. I have 3 over a 2x4 sps tank, I really could use 6. It isn't about par it's about the shadows.

I
Which is why i'll be running these on my 4 x t5 hybrid fixture...to eliminate the shadowing...

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a single reefi over my reef since January its a very nice light. I only run 125w and I am getting 110 par at the sand bed below the light and 90-100 by the glass 28"x28"x24" light is 11-12" off the water surface. At about 10" up from the sand I get 225 under the light and around 175-190 at the glass. I am using the 120 reflector.

I
Yes any led/mh light will do that. You need multiple fixtures or other lighting in the mix.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back