Scooter stopped eating?

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Scooter Dragonet i got 9 months ago stopped eating a bout a month ago. He swims around and very rarely picks at food, despite an abundance of pods and other critters in the tank. Even the pellets, he barely even touches anymore, which he used to love above even pods and he just keeps getting skinnier and skinnier. This also coincided with a change in behavior that I can't quite describe, but something has felt... off.

He shares his home with a Spotted Mandarin, whom is super chonkers, the most sausage looking dragonet I've ever seen! Only eats live food, no targeted feeding like I do with the scooter. There is no sign of aggression between the two of them, they barely acknowledge eachothers existence.

I know its not much to go on but any thoughts? parasite? intestinal blockage? old age? (I don't know his age but he is a fully grown adult)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AC1211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Scooter Dragonet i got 9 months ago stopped eating a bout a month ago. He swims around and very rarely picks at food, despite an abundance of pods and other critters in the tank. Even the pellets, he barely even touches anymore, which he used to love above even pods and he just keeps getting skinnier and skinnier. This also coincided with a change in behavior that I can't quite describe, but something has felt... off.

He shares his home with a Spotted Mandarin, whom is super chonkers, the most sausage looking dragonet I've ever seen! Only eats live food, no targeted feeding like I do with the scooter. There is no sign of aggression between the two of them, they barely acknowledge eachothers existence.

I know its not much to go on but any thoughts? parasite? intestinal blockage? old age? (I don't know his age but he is a fully grown adult)
If the spotted mandarin is doing fine... chances are part of the problem is that the red scooter is getting outcompeted. The weaker it gets the worse it will be. That said... it is probably getting some food.

OP
OP
Alexraptor

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my answer... unfortunately. I accidentally spooked him and he flashed his belly, which was enough for me to see that his anus has an enormous lump, so it seems like I'm dealing with an anal/intestinal obstruction or maybe even a tumor. :loudly-crying-face:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my answer... unfortunately. I accidentally spooked him and he flashed his belly, which was enough for me to see that his anus has an enormous lump, so it seems like I'm dealing with an anal/intestinal obstruction or maybe even a tumor. :loudly-crying-face:

Internal issues like that are difficult to treat. Sometimes though, it is just a blockage that can work itself out.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back