Skimmer Q&A Thread

travisty282

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used about 10 different brands or so through the years, and for the value, I think Bubble Magus Elite's are kind of my favorite
I will look into them for sure. Thanks for the help and if I ever get that old thing running I'll post about it.

nudibronx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey yall,

I set up a Bubble magus curve 3 extreme over a week ago (it’s a 1 year old 76gal reef tank with about 6 fish). I let it run in my sump, but it still is having issues with massively overflowing. The cup will fill within minutes. It’s at the exact manufacturer recommended depth of 7 inches. And I set the water level dial as low as possible.

The foam seems to look great if I raise the skimmer out of the water… but then it’s only about 3-4inches deep. This doesn’t seem right or safe, and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas of what I can do to fix this…?

pianosdr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could someone please post a video of a properly tuned/functioning skimmer (pref a red sea if possible)? I feel like I’m not setting mine properly. I try to tune it so that the bubbles just barely float over the top occasionally, but this seems to result mostly in fairly clear water after a few days. If I tune it lower than that, the skimmate clogs up in the neck and never seems to make it to the cup.

I’ve seen images in the past of ppl showing their skim mate cups as a dark black or brown color for the most part, and I just never see anything close to that.

This is about as dark as mine gets…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 5

GrumpyDaddy68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm trying to get my old IM 25Gal Lagoon tank back in play. The old NUVO skimmer pump does not work anymore. Could you guys recommend one skimmer that will fit my tank (with good reviews)?

Thanks in advance,
Jorge

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could someone please post a video of a properly tuned/functioning skimmer (pref a red sea if possible)? I feel like I’m not setting mine properly. I try to tune it so that the bubbles just barely float over the top occasionally, but this seems to result mostly in fairly clear water after a few days. If I tune it lower than that, the skimmate clogs up in the neck and never seems to make it to the cup.

I’ve seen images in the past of ppl showing their skim mate cups as a dark black or brown color for the most part, and I just never see anything close to that.

This is about as dark as mine gets…
The bubbles should break about an inch below the neck ring. To get that dark black skimate you see it’s very dry and most likely from carbon dosing.
IMG_3795.jpeg

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What skimmer is better? A RLSS DC skimmer with pump and controller or a Reef Octopus 150 INT?
Both work but i would take the waveline pump on the RLSS over the aquatrance pump on the RO.

in my experience DCs help to better fine tune skimmate production and are much quieter.

Jecod DC on my old reef dynamics INS skimmer that i'm currently running (4 days worth).
20240512_103041.jpg

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back