Strange material inside a Nero 3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a little over a year one of my Nero 3's has already died and since it’s dead and out of warranty I decided to take a hammer to and and see what’s inside. Inside the pump is wet, rusty, and filled with a sand like material that has a weird smell. I have no idea what they’re putting in these pumps but it definitely has to be leaching into the tank. The smell inside the pump isn't a reef tank related smell, it has a chemical smell to it.
IMG_0134.jpeg
IMG_0135.jpeg

Brandont21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Arent you the one who keeps killing an astonishing amount of reputable pumps? What does your maintenance look like on your pumps? Just curious? I had a nero 3 for quite a while and had no issues.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 4 Nero 3s all fail multiple times and mostly its the pump failing not the controller. Some pumps made it just past a year others would only make it a few months. I cleaned them monthly. Crap pumps.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys cleaning with vinegar or something?

Also taht is the back side of the pump in photo.. that is a magnet/ was a magnet.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not seen pumps fall apart like that since Rio sent me a box of pumps to "try for my self and see how good they are"

All pumps were dead in under 4 months

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arent you the one who keeps killing an astonishing amount of reputable pumps? What does your maintenance look like on your pumps? Just curious? I had a nero 3 for quite a while and had no issues.
Citric acid

OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys cleaning with vinegar or something?

Also taht is the back side of the pump in photo.. that is a magnet/ was a magnet.
The round piece to the left is a piece of metal that holds the pump to the magnet on the glass. there is no magnet there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cannoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After cleaning the brown stuff off the pump i think the smell is coming from the resin they’re using. And the brown stuff is possibly minerals from the salt water collecting around the warm pump?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 32 21.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 35 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 39 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back