Sun coral in cold water??

TheClown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because of the natural Habitat of sun coral- north California into Oregon and Canada would it be ok to put them in a cold water tank? If so, how should I acclimate them into the colder water?
I am also thinking about

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep a cold water tank cold in summer?
Chiller or fans hitting the top of the water.
Or a bucket of ice and a power head pushing your tank water through a pipe into the ice and back in your tank

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because of the natural Habitat of sun coral- north California into Oregon and Canada would it be ok to put them in a cold water tank? If so, how should I acclimate them into the colder water?
I am also thinking about
What temperature are you thinking 60f ?

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah about that temperature, but I do think it should be a little bit colder
Ok research what is local to you and the average temperatures winter and summer in your seas . Be careful about laws removing stuff. And first set up your tank in mind of what you want to keep. It can be done I have done most things with native tanks . If you need any help or info I am willing to help

OP
OP
TheClown

TheClown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t live near me, apparently they live a bit farther north, they also recently became invasive in the Mediterranean, they are a popular coral and they are also sold online, so I won’t be pulling any from the sea. The one thing that is tough with these guys is the amount of nutrients they eat which I am well prepared for. Apparently they are also a kind of Zoa too, they have the largest polyps out of all of them

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don’t live near me, apparently they live a bit farther north, they also recently became invasive in the Mediterranean, they are a popular coral and they are also sold online, so I won’t be pulling any from the sea. The one thing that is tough with these guys is the amount of nutrients they eat which I am well prepared for. Apparently they are also a kind of Zoa too, they have the largest polyps out of all of them
Interesting I have never heard they are related to zoanthids. They are so different with them making a skeleton and being completely non-photosynthetic. I would have thought closer related to euphilia.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a cool project! If the food is rich, like live baby brine, they go easily go with a feeding every other day.
They are not even slightly related to zoas though haha. Assuming you are talking about tubastrea, they are most closely related to duncans and turbinaria.

OP
OP
TheClown

TheClown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting I have never heard they are related to zoanthids. They are so different with them making a skeleton and being completely non-photosynthetic. I would have thought closer related to euphilia.
You are right, sorry, I mixed up sun coral and sun polyps :/

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep this coral but in 78 degrees.
I’m not sure you want to go less than 70 though.
Got to feed daily after dark for best results.
I agree. Might be a subspecies that has evolved to handle colder environments.
I had a 90g that was all sun corals all three typical types, dendros, and rhyzos (3). Only had a single actinic t5 over the tank. It was tied into my 2 reef tanks so it was always typical reef temps 76-78. It received flow from one of the tanks upstairs so any excess food that went through the overflow went here before the filtration. I also fed directly about 4 times a week either frozen brine or mysis. The tank being mostly dark all the time they were always open. These are some of my favorite corals.

OP
OP
TheClown

TheClown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3945.png
IMG_3944.png
Turns out there are two completely different coral named the same thing and look almost identical, however they are completely unrelated…

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3945.png
IMG_3944.png
Turns out there are two completely different coral named the same thing and look almost identical, however they are completely unrelated…
I remember these now the balanophyllia are a cold water species single cup coral or something like that. Are the tubastrea from the americas more like the hidden cup coral? or like the typical sun corals? I didnt know these grew in that area.

OP
OP
TheClown

TheClown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they grow there and they are the typical sun coral, but they are actually invasive
I remember these now the balanophyllia are a cold water species single cup coral or something like that. Are the tubastrea from the americas more like the hidden cup coral? or like the typical sun corals? I didnt know these grew in that area

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 40 27.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 31 21.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 34 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back