The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me neither, that's why I'm so surprised at the behaviour.
Do you have any suggestions to curb the aggression?
I've already tried rearranging the rock work, putting a mirror up and feeding more.
Not too much more you can do. Maybe imprison her for a while in an acclimation box

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me neither, that's why I'm so surprised at the behaviour.
Do you have any suggestions to curb the aggression?
I've already tried rearranging the rock work, putting a mirror up and feeding more.

If you have a small spare tank (like a 10g or 20g) maybe you could try removing her from the tank for a few days?

Maybe being reintroduced after a few days and being the new kid on the block again will help her tone it down a little?

Bob Weigant

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys, I have recently purchased a Pintail fairy wrasse.
He is nice and fat and is in QT with API General Cure along with a diamond tail flasher wrasse.
The flasher is eating well but the Pintail seems very hesitant.
Im feeding them mysis soaked in garlic, is there anything else i could incorporate without spiking nutrients.
Thanks!
I dont know why it is but I cant keep a pintail for the life of me

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know why it is but I cant keep a pintail for the life of me
Also went through several. Either skittish as hell and won't eat, or they become Apollo astronauts and attempt moon shots. Had ONE out of 4 last more than 3 months, and in the end it took the leap of faith.

Ross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got done quarantining 2 leopard wrasses and 2 radiant wrasses successfully. I bought 2 of each, hoping to get one of each through quarantine. Luckily I got all 4 through!

I documented things pretty well on humble fish, for anyone that wants to read.

And of course a couple videos.

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too much more you can do. Maybe imprison her for a while in an acclimation box
If you have a small spare tank (like a 10g or 20g) maybe you could try removing her from the tank for a few days?

Maybe being reintroduced after a few days and being the new kid on the block again will help her tone it down a little?
Thanks for the suggestion, but the only other tank I have is a 25 gallon, but that has fish that I know that the leopard would beat up. They're in there because she wasn't getting along with them.

The leopard shredded my sleeper gobies fins up as well.

The aggression has driven my mandarin to constant hiding when the leopard is out and about.
My mandarin has also completely stopped eating. I know that this isn't because of a lack of food or preparation on my part, I see copepods all over the glass and rocks.
The leopard is constantly picking, but the mandarin has stopped, and will no longer eat frozen. I've kept it in an acclimation box for a while to try and get it to feed again, but it just hides.

I'm going to have to rehome the leopard, but I don't want to pass an aggressive fish on to someone else.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion, but the only other tank I have is a 25 gallon, but that has fish that I know that the leopard would beat up. They're in there because she wasn't getting along with them.

The leopard shredded my sleeper gobies fins up as well.

The aggression has driven my mandarin to constant hiding when the leopard is out and about.
My mandarin has also completely stopped eating. I know that this isn't because of a lack of food or preparation on my part, I see copepods all over the glass and rocks.
The leopard is constantly picking, but the mandarin has stopped, and will no longer eat frozen. I've kept it in an acclimation box for a while to try and get it to feed again, but it just hides.

I'm going to have to rehome the leopard, but I don't want to pass an aggressive fish on to someone else.
Maybe pass it on to someone with a more assertive livestock?

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my wrasse. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Attachments

• IMG_0503.jpeg
    IMG_0503.jpeg
    234.9 KB · Views: 10

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 37 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back