Trying to decide on my next tank

MDReefguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, thinking of upgrading, and would like some advice:

Currently running a canister filtered Aqueon 75 gallon, but now that I'm back in the hobby fully, I'd like to upgrade to a full setup, and something with a sump and monitoring and the like, as we travel a bit. I've left the tank for 10-12 days with a neighbor feeding food I'd portioned out with out problems, but I'd like to have something I can watch a bit better and set up leak detectors and the like.

Anyways, I'm looking for a sort of all in one solution, have a kid due any day now and won't have time to do what I'd like, which is custom it all out, but I think I've narrowed it down to a few tanks, and wanted to see what people thought.

The room I want to put it in could handle a 7 ft tank, but I think a 5-6 footer makes more sense realistically. Currently my saltwater setup is a 4 footer, and I have a 6 foot 125 Aqueon freshwater next to it. I'm thinking I'll break down the 6 foot freshwater and just go one big saltwater.

My dream tank is the Innovative marine 240 EXT, but I think the almost 7ft length is a bit more than I can handle. I like the 200 EXT which is 6 ish feet, but the 30 inch width plus the ext overflow pushes the tank almost three feet out from the wall and that won't work in my space.

That leaves me with the IM 200 INT, the Waterbox Reef 230.6, or the Waterbox Frag 175.6 as my 6 foot solutions that won't stick out too far. I like the 30 inch depth of the IM, but still unsure of how it'll sit in my room. I like the shallowness of the Frag tank, but I'm a fish guy and the extra volume of the WB reef 230.6 seem attractive.

I like the Eurobracing of the IM, and am nervous of the rimless WB's. Can't seem to find reviews of the IM INT bigger tanks, and not sure what the move is.

The final move would be to keep my current tanks, turn the 125 into the Display tank, the 75 into the sump, I'd have to drill the 125 and figure out plumbing which I'm not sure I have the brain capacity for now, and just buy all the controllers and such I'd need, plus a skimmer and I'm sure a million other things I can't think of now.

Anyways, this is a bit of a brain dump, but any thoughts any one has to get me honing in would be appreciated.

Thanks all

MD

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MDReefguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have UNS freshwater tanks, amazing stuff. I'd like a 6 footer, and their biggest solution now is 5Ft. Plus pricing currently is more than the others.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uns does make a nearly 6 ft tank (70" 180U) but personally for bigger tanks, eurobracing is worth every penny because it can help reduce jumpers and more importantly you wont have to deal with water dripping everywhere from excited and hungry fish.

For prefab tanks out of whats on the market, the IM ext would get my vote.

For custom glass, external built in overflow (not the boxes like synergy reef, etc), 2 return holes, consideration for a closed loop*, eurobraced top and internal bottom (with consideration of recessed top eurobracing for an easy lid space)

Then for a stand (if custom), aluminum T slot or powder coated Stainless Steel would be my pick and then use your desired size plain glass tank as a sump if fancy isn't important.

Almost forgot in regards to external overflow tanks, MEASURE YOUR DOOR OPENING! A 24" wide tank may no longer fit due to the external overflow box and maneuvering a big tank to another face is not easy

OP
OP
M

MDReefguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, I really want the IM ext. May try and see if I can fit it. Otherwise it my have to be the INT.

Just closed in my office where my tanks are, as it was opened up to the rest of the floor, and I put a 36" door in so I had plenty of clearance to lug in whatever tank I wanted.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back