Vodka to reduce phosphates??????

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever use Vodka to lower phosphates in fish only marine tank. If so how much? I have 12 foot 600 gallon tank which the phosphate are out of control (high), have Seachem Phosgaurd running in to reactors for a month still high with 2 water changes of 30% each time. Any advice on reducing it and does Voka really work and dosage amount. Thanks

IMG_0442.jpeg

Realposition

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vodka wont reduce much phosphate compared to nitrate. If you only want to lower phosphate you should look into lanthanum chloride. Make sure to research it before using so you use it in a safe manner.

Gogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is high?

How's your nitrate levels? Bacteria based nutrient reduction relies on ratios between nitrogen, carbon and phosphate. If your nitrate levels are low, vodka dosing will not help.

PhosGuard (aluminum oxide) should be very effective at binding phosphate, however you should keep in mind that it can get exhausted quickly. This is from their website:
PhosGuard™ is best used in smaller quantities and changed frequently. In an environment with an excessively high phosphate reading, PhosGuard™ will exhaust rapidly (4 – 5 days)

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is high?

How's your nitrate levels? Bacteria based nutrient reduction relies on ratios between nitrogen, carbon and phosphate. If your nitrate levels are low, vodka dosing will not help.

PhosGuard (aluminum oxide) should be very effective at binding phosphate, however you should keep in mind that it can get exhausted quickly. This is from their website:
Thanks

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is high?

Thanks

OP
OP
C

Carl Cardarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high is high?

Thanks

How high is high?

Thanks

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some very good replies already and I only have one thing to add. If YOU use said vodka it may reduce levels of caring about your level of phospates!

Happy Holidays!

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing does nothing for phosphate reduction.

if you don’t mind chemicals, lanthanum chloride works immediately. Highly recommend dosing half of what is recommended. Then again for a gradual reduction and to learn how effective it is.

if you prefer a media, rowaphos is excellent.

Gogi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum chloride is great if you have very high levels. But we don't really know your levels.

mdavis1032

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for water storage container? I had extremely high phosphates for years and couldn't figure out why, I found out that it was the plastic container I was using for my ato was leaching phosphates into the system. Changed to a glass ato and with the help of BRS High Capacity GFO in a reactor was finally able to get it under control

scotty333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jbl phos ex ultra is the best gfo on the market imo
And yes vodka does reduce po4 , I use to reduce nitrates once a week and it takes phosphate with it

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever use Vodka to lower phosphates in fish only marine tank. If so how much? I have 12 foot 600 gallon tank which the phosphate are out of control (high), have Seachem Phosgaurd running in to reactors for a month still high with 2 water changes of 30% each time. Any advice on reducing it and does Voka really work and dosage amount. Thanks
I have a pretty large system as well, 340-ish gallons and Phos tends to run rampant if I allow it ( to the tune of .60 to .80) I am dosing nearly 40ml daily of Brightwell PHOS-E (Lanthanum Chloride) and dosing in 12 increments it is keeping my phos at or below .10, usually I get readings in the .05 to .08 range.

I picked up a single Kamoer dosing pump, the app is super easy to set up and use, and it adds the PHOS-E 12 times a day directly into my skimmer. That's the key, you dose the LC directly into your Skimmer. Good Luck to you.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 34 29.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back