Would this sump setup work?

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1714531562235.png

I have been given these two sumps that I would like to merge together into one almighty sump. The leftmost sump already has a bulkhead and is plumbed to have this little dongle thing coming out of it, so I want to drill the other sump and connect them via this tube. I do not believe the water will go through as it is the same elevation (both sumps) so I was wondering what I can do to make this work without spending 1 billion dollars. Thank you! I have one spare pump so I could just do like a hangover thing and have the pump in the left sump's chamber shoot water to the right sump, but I would rather not if possible.

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also could just plug the hole of the left sump and then drill a hole HIGHER than that. Something like this.

1714532068353.png

Unsure how this would go though as they are of similar height.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not believe the water will go through as it is the same elevation (both sumps)
The water will flow through fine as gravity will want to equalize the water level between the two. I don't know how big the sumps are how far apart they are or the amount of flow you plan on running but you would want at least a 1.5" or 2" pvc pipe connecting the two. The sump on the left will have a slightly higher running water level than the one on the right. How much again depends on the flow, pipe size and distance apart. Keep the connecting pipe lower like in the first pic you have. All you need is two bulkheads and some pvc pipe. Bigger the better!

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water will flow through fine as gravity will want to equalize the water level between the two. I don't know how big the sumps are how far apart they are or the amount of flow you plan on running but you would want at least a 1.5" or 2" pvc pipe connecting the two. The sump on the left will have a slightly higher running water level than the one on the right. How much again depends on the flow, pipe size and distance apart. Keep the connecting pipe lower like in the first pic you have. All you need is two bulkheads and some pvc pipe. Bigger the better!
I can connect them as close as possible, 1 in, and I have wavemakers that can make the flow pretty fast. How would I get the right sump to have the highest water level it can? I will do a 2 in pvc.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How would I get the right sump to have the highest water level it can? I will do a 2 in pvc.
Keep the 2" connecting pipe as low as you can between the 2 sumps. No need for a wave maker or pump to push the water between the two, gravity will do the work.

Your water level will probably look about like this. Just make sure there is enough space to account for back siphoning during power outages. Is this drawing to scale? Is one sump taller than the other?
What is this upper baffle for?

1714531562235.png

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the 2" connecting pipe as low as you can between the 2 sumps. No need for a wave maker or pump to push the water between the two, gravity will do the work.

Your water level will probably look about like this. Just make sure there is enough space to account for back siphoning during power outages. Is this drawing to scale? Is one sump taller than the other?
What is this upper baffle for?

1714531562235.png
They are actually the same height. I think I am going to raise the left sump up with something so that the right sump can have a higher water level.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I am going to raise the left sump up with something so that the right sump can have a higher water level.
Why do you want a higher water level in the right sump? Raising one higher than the other it will be harder to align the holes for the connecting bulkheads...

If you can butt them up against each other you don't even need the pvc pipe you can use just the bulkhead with an extra gasket sandwiched between the two sumps on the bulkhead fitting, the same way an external overflow box is installed. I've got 3 tied together this way with 4 1.5" bulkheads.
20240210_152414_resized.jpg

OP
OP
bensoo00

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you want a higher water level in the right sump? Raising one higher than the other it will be harder to align the holes for the connecting bulkheads...

If you can butt them up against each other you don't even need the pvc pipe you can use just the bulkhead with an extra gasket sandwiched between the two sumps on the bulkhead fitting, the same way an external overflow box is installed. I've got 3 tied together this way with 4 1.5" bulkheads.
20240210_152414_resized.jpg
I was just going to use it as a fuge so I want more space for the spinning ball to grow big. I ended up doing this and I aligned the holes so I’m going to connect them with a 2in pvc. Thank you for your help!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back