XR15 Supplemental Lighting Suggestions

Which supplemental lighting should I go with?

• 1 x XR15 G6 Blue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 x XR30 G6 Blue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 x AI Blade Grow

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

Inertiatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea Reefer 350 that currently has two Radion XR15 G6 Blues. I'm moving the bulk of my LPS to a new tank that I setup and I'm changing my Reefer 350 to be an acropora focused mixed reef. My LPS will consist of torches and gonioporas, plus zoas for the softies.

I did a PAR reading which confirmed what I expected from these lights: No hotspots with great spread all over the tank, but not many areas that can sustain acropora. Currently at 85% intensity and I have a PAR range of 127-225. I always planned on needing and adding additional lights in the future, which is why I liked the idea of starting with XR15s vs XR30s. I just didn't plan on adding this soon :face-with-tears-of-joy:

I only have frags right now, so no qualms about adding additional lights again in the future as things grow. But for now, I think adding one additional light will get me to more areas in the tank in that 250-350 PAR sweet spot. I've narrowed the choices down to the following:

1 x XR15 G6 Blue in the center
1 x XR30 G6 Blue in the center
2 x AI Blade Grow

I would love to hear any suggestions or thoughts from those with a similar setup already, thanks!

bj274

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting the same tank and was having this same question.
2 -15’s vs 1-30
Or is there a better choice?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with above. For all the advertising efforts of LED manufacturers, T5 and halide are still kings.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back