00W's AIO Smorgasbord

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I run 2 heaters on one inkbird?
You are asking Mr. Low tech, pretty much running my tank like I did in the mid Nineties and I went to public school. I’m sure someone smart on here can answer that though.

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are asking Mr. Low tech, pretty much running my tank like I did in the mid Nineties and I went to public school. I’m sure someone smart on here can answer that though.
I think the inkbird is as high tech as I get.
Still have T5's with an on/off switch.
I found a heater today that only works with an app for Pete's sake.
I think you're 90's approach to reefing is completely underrated. Your tank is amazing.
I don't understand a lot of the new stuff.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're 90's approach to reefing is completely underrated. Your tank is amazing.
If it isn’t broke don’t fix it! My motto for life or maybe I’m just to lazy to learn.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but I have most of the new equipment for reefing and I am happy to help if you got a question.

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert but I have most of the new equipment for reefing and I am happy to help if you got a question.
You will be my go to guy my man.
When I need an answer I'll fire away.
Thanks bro.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be my go to guy my man.
When I need an answer I'll fire away.
Thanks bro.
Ok haha. Only for some of the tech stuff. I got you as my helper for some of the harder reef questions.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK will do and will try.
Thanks dude.
I just bought a 150w today for 5 gallon buckets so I'll throw that in there.
We keep the house at 72 during the day but shut off the heater at night. The sound drives my wife nuts.
Woke up the other day and the house was 55. Tank was at 72, heater running all night.
I've noticed everything is really happy at 75, but I don't think the big swing is good.
I have 2 tanks on one sump and one 300w heater.
Thanks for the tip!
Yeah it might be a good idea to get a bigger heater for the 2 tanks.
You could connect the heaters to the INKBIRD and it will turn them on and off for you!

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok haha. Only for some of the tech stuff. I got you as my helper for some of the harder reef questions.
When you get those corals going good, you're my teacher then.

carruthers79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I changed 15 gallons today in about a 110 gallon system.
20240108_165135.jpg

Sure enough, nitrate down about 12% so that part of science is true.
Look. I'm not that bright.
I love this hobby and my fish and I'm trying some science experiments just junior high school smart because everything seems so complicated to me.
I've been doing a lot of research on whether soft corals use N and P in any amount.
Concensus is yes but the use then export of those really is inconclusive on the amounts and definitely not the same as the harder corals.
Everything looks better with a water change and running phos at 0 doesn't seem to tick them off so I'm trying to get nitrate lower than 20 to see what happens there.
There was a thread on here about algae scrubbers,the use thereof and how effective they are.
I still don't know if it's that effective and unlike that thread where some said it eliminated N AND P, mine has not eliminated it but it just may keep them stable.
20240108_165933.jpg

Just wondering if I water change down to 10 it'll keep them there. Maybe that's the best way to use them. Can't just hook it up and kiss nutrients goodbye.
Just searching for a little truth in this small science experiment that maybe makes a difference to someone other than me.

hey guys, my name is Mike. I’m new to all of this. As I’m just creeping around I noticed I have the same octo skimmer. Can’t figure out why my skimmer has been going crazy since I started the tank. Bubbles are large and it’s constantly over flowing. Any thoughts or am I just an idiot lol

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys, my name is Mike. I’m new to all of this. As I’m just creeping around I noticed I have the same octo skimmer. Can’t figure out why my skimmer has been going crazy since I started the tank. Bubbles are large and it’s constantly over flowing. Any thoughts or am I just an idiot lol
Hi Mike nice to meet you.
What speed are you running it?
What's the salinity?

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your skimmer might need to be broken in. It can take some time. It will eventually build up enough viscosity to skim correctly,

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you test a lot or worry about that?
Well, when I ran my first tank after the first year or two I don’t think I tested at all. I did weekly water changes and if things looked off I increased the amount and frequency until I liked how my tank looked. Now I have so much more lps and a couple sps so I check my calcium and magnesium every week or two and the other parameters about once a month ( does not include salinity, I check weekly when I do a water change) but that is now with my tank over 2 years old. I did do more frequent when it was younger.

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your skimmer might need to be broken in. It can take some time. It will eventually build up enough viscosity to skim correctly,
Good call dude.
Low salinity will make larger bubbles also.

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idiots bro.
No worries.
Just give us a little more info and we'll get it sorted out.
Welcome Welcome to the site and the club!

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, when I ran my first tank after the first year or two I don’t think I tested at all. I did weekly water changes and if things looked off I increased the amount and frequency until I liked how my tank looked. Now I have so much more lps and a couple sps so I check my calcium and magnesium every week or two and the other parameters about once a month ( does not include salinity, I check weekly when I do a water change) but that is now with my tank over 2 years old. I did do more frequent when it was younger.
I never tested in over 30 years until I became a member on here.
So much talk of testing I started to and now test weekly.
Was just wondering what your levels were.

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never tested in over 30 years until I became a member on here.
So much talk of testing I started to and now test weekly.
Was just wondering what your levels were.
Even when you had corals? I am always testing in my 90 gallon because I have corals. I don’t test my 20 gall because it only has fish and some kelp.

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even when you had corals? I am always testing in my 90 gallon because I have corals. I don’t test my 20 gall because it only has fish and some kelp.
Yep.
I just went by how everything was looking.
I was always very simple.
Most complicated thing I did besides the inkbird was use red sea coral pro salt!

carruthers79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mike nice to meet you.
What speed are you running it?
What's the salinity?
Nice to meet you as well, not sure what speed. The salinity is 1.024 I didn’t realize it had an adjustable speed.
Just just got all of this for a surprise Christmas present. I feel so stupid.
Thanks for the response boys. I’m still waiting on my coral guy to get my test kits in.
So I’ve just been dropping in to test.
Only had it up and running since dec 27th

Back