Anemone won’t foot

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an anemone 3 days ago. It’s still not footed into anywhere. I’ve tried to move it a couple times into a rock, but each time it eventually moved away and face plants. It looks healthy as of now, and today both my clown fish were actually nesting in it. I’m not sure why it isn’t planting its foot anywhere. I turn the flow down, I changed the lighting. I’m not sure what else to do, and I don’t want it to die. Any suggestions ?

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do nothing at all. You can't really make it sit anywhere. They find the best spot for themselves based on flow, lighting and other things that could bother them.

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do nothing at all. You can't really make it sit anywhere. They find the best spot for themselves based on flow, lighting and other things that could bother them.
Will it likely die if it hasn’t planted its foot by now? Or does it take time?

monica HHF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one that I received beginning of April also it has not planted. I was told to leave it. I would like to know want to do also.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as lefkonj aid, leave it be. The more you mess with it, the more stressed it will become. If it face plants, you can right it, but beyond that, let it be. It will find where it want to go.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as lefkonj aid, leave it be. The more you mess with it, the more stressed it will become. If it face plants, you can right it, but beyond that, let it be. It will find where it want to go.
If you want, in order to give it time / room to settle down, you can set it upright inside a small container of some sort. Like a flower pot, something that is safe in the saltwater of course.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya the whole tank has been tough to be honest. Not sure if I’m doing something wrong but my water has been tested over and over and I don’t see anything wrong.
Can you list your parameters on here, hopefully we can help you figure things out. A total pic of your tank would be good as well. What all do you have in the way of equipment, and lighting? This can be a very difficult hobby in the beginning. Once you are past the first year, things tend to get a bit easier.

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you list your parameters on here, hopefully we can help you figure things out. A total pic of your tank would be good as well. What all do you have in the way of equipment, and lighting? This can be a very difficult hobby in the beginning. Once you are past the first year, things tend to get a bit easier.
Ammonia: 0
pH: 8.0
Nirtite: 0
Nitrate: 2ppm
Temp: 28 C (I’ve been trying to get this a little lower but it’s really hot in my house right now so it’s higher than usual)
Calcium: between 370-400ppm
Magnesium: between 1320-1400ppm
Salinity: 1.025

OP
OP
J

jazreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of equipment I have a HOB filter but the filter is for 110g and my tank is 65g so it’s almost double. My lights are AI prime 16hd. I feel like things started to get worse when I got the lights, not sure if they’re too strong. I turned them off the last couple days cause I’m having an algae bloom and the water looks green

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In terms of equipment I have a HOB filter but the filter is for 110g and my tank is 65g so it’s almost double. My lights are AI prime 16hd. I feel like things started to get worse when I got the lights, not sure if they’re too strong. I turned them off the last couple days cause I’m having an algae bloom and the water looks g
In terms of equipment I have a HOB filter but the filter is for 110g and my tank is 65g so it’s almost double. My lights are AI prime 16hd. I feel like things started to get worse when I got the lights, not sure if they’re too strong. I turned them off the last couple days cause I’m having an algae bloom and the water looks green
Yeah your filter should be fine I also use an HOB filter along with a Oase canister filter. Do you have a UV sterilizer? That will do wonders for an algae bloom. What about Alkalinity? Do you test for that? The anemone may have been shocked by the lights indeed. When you add new corals or anemones, best to graduate them into your lighting. They can adapt pretty well, just has to be gradual.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an anemone 3 days ago. It’s still not footed into anywhere. I’ve tried to move it a couple times into a rock, but each time it eventually moved away and face plants. It looks healthy as of now, and today both my clown fish were actually nesting in it. I’m not sure why it isn’t planting its foot anywhere. I turn the flow down, I changed the lighting. I’m not sure what else to do, and I don’t want it to die. Any suggestions ?

Reduce flow in the tank until it anchors.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia: 0
pH: 8.0
Nirtite: 0
Nitrate: 2ppm
Temp: 28 C (I’ve been trying to get this a little lower but it’s really hot in my house right now so it’s higher than usual)
Calcium: between 370-400ppm
Magnesium: between 1320-1400ppm
Salinity: 1.025
These look really good except Nitrates, I try and keep them 20ppm to 40ppm Nitrate in mine, and I run my Calc higher also, closer to 450 range.

Have you tested Phos or DKh?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back