EcolibriumReef - an open-source, DIY aquarium controller based on Arduino and Android

John Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers,
I want to introduce to everyone EcolibriumReef, an open-source, DIY aquarium controller based on Arduino and Android.
The Arduino based controller has some basic functions as described below:
  • Timer Switches: uses a real time clock to keep time and activate/deactivate relays to turn devices on/off.
  • Cooling System: detects water temperature and turn fans on/off to cool down the aquarium.
  • Auto Top-off: uses a dedicated 4-chanel relay and 4 solenoid valves for turning on/off and directing flow. It has a cool mechanism to prevent flooding since I am connecting it to an endless water source.
  • Auto Top-off Bypass: divert RO/DI to a dinking reservoir.
  • Bluetooth communication
The Android based remote control app interfaces with Arduino controller through Bluetooth serial communication.
I have been using and continuously trying to improve it for more than five years so hopefully it’s bugs-free. Program codes and detail explanation are posted on GitHub.
  • EcolibriumReef-Arduino (controller)
  • EcolibriumReef-Android (remote control)
  • It would be cool if someone can create an ios remote control app.
Check it out and give me some feedback. I hope we can all work together to make it better.
Thanks.

Reef2Reef Intro 1.png Reef2Reef Intro 2.png Reef2Reef Intro 3.png Reef2Reef Intro 4.png Reef2Reef Intro 5.png Reef2Reef Intro 6.png

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty slick, your user interface on the remote looks really good! On a related note, what is the link to your GitHub? I searched EcolibriumReef and didn't get a hit.

OP
OP
J

John Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty slick, your user interface on the remote looks really good! On a related note, what is the link to your GitHub? I searched EcolibriumReef and didn't get a hit.
Thanks, Red_Beard.
I did have problem finding it earlier.
Google "search github"
goto "github dot com slash search"
type "ecolibriumreef"
Let me know if you still have problem.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
J

John Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I thought I picked up some good habits from my abandoned career in computer science.
I am still learning and don’t know yet how to make it visible outside of Github.

OP
OP
J

John Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I have seen quite a bit of traffic on GitHub
https://github.com/PracticalHomeApp/EcolibriumReef-Arduino
https://github.com/PracticalHomeApp/EcolibriumReef-Android
and there is a good number of downloads too.
If any of you has evaluated the apps, I would appreciate some feedback.
For those who want to customize the programs for your own use, I might be able to help.
I am also hoping to attract some contributors.

I just ordered a pH probe. Ebay delivery might take a few weeks but I am already working on the codes and will test the controller as soon as I get it.

Salsaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started thinking about a controller for my tank and ran across this thread. Are there any updates? Did the pH proble work? Just wondering if this continued or fell by the wayside.

Back