WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my Reef Showcase!

I plan to go get a few more corals tomorrow, and a new fish soon.

My tank has been running for just about a month and a half now, so it doesn't look great, but I have big plans for it!

Last edited:

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to my Reef Showcase!

I plan to go get a few more corals tomorrow, and a new fish soon.

My tank has been running for just about a month and a half now, so it doesn't look great, but I have big plans for it!
Excited to see what you do!

I’m seriously looking at this exact tank to move my two clowns and nems over from my main tank.

any updates or pics of what it looks like now?

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see what you do!

I’m seriously looking at this exact tank to move my two clowns and nems over from my main tank.

any updates or pics of what it looks like now?
Yes, here is a picture from a few days ago!

20240406_143345.jpg

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, here's an update.

First off, my cleaner shrimp did unfortunately pass away. Not too sure why.

Both of my fish and my corals are all doing great, and my stylophora has polyps growing in on the fragged part, which is great!

I got a leptoseris frag, and a rock flower anemone.

Last edited:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Walker! When I was looking at the vertical sides of your scape I thought some rfas would be perfect. I scrolled down and you had already purchased one. Great minds think alike! Looks great!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice Walker! When I was looking at the vertical sides of your scape I thought some rfas would be perfect. I scrolled down and you had already purchased one. Great minds think alike! Looks great!
Haha, yes! I have no idea how to get it off the frag, but if it decides to move, maybe I can try to put it right in the front of the rockwork.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yes! I have no idea how to get it off the frag, but if it decides to move, maybe I can try to put it right in the front of the rockwork.
Post a picture of it on the frag. They do move around so it probably won’t stay on the frag for long. Mine seem to move weekly. Ah, perfect spot. Next week, dang it is behind the rock. Around and around it goes! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a picture of it on the frag. They do move around so it probably won’t stay on the frag for long. Mine seem to move weekly. Ah, perfect spot. Next week, dang it is behind the rock. Around and around it goes! :rolleyes:
LOL. I hope mine doesn't do that. It's on a dead coral... lol.

20240425_204222.jpg
20240425_204208.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics. Also, is the mouth being open normal? I have heard that it's a bad sign, but when I look up RFAs they always look like this.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL. I hope mine doesn't do that. It's on a dead coral... lol.

20240425_204222.jpg
20240425_204208.jpg

Sorry for the bad pics. Also, is the mouth being open normal? I have heard that it's a bad sign, but when I look up RFAs they always look like this.
It is probably hungry, spot feed it mysis, great feeding response.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a torch would look great in there waving all over.
Yes, I 100% agree! I am waiting for my tank to mature just a bit more, then I will probably give it a shot!!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is probably hungry, spot feed it mysis, great feeding response.
Thanks! I will do that tomorrow when I feed. And yes, the feeding response is super cool!

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on how everything is doing Walker? I know your posting stuff on Smorgasbord, but it’s hard to keep up with the pages and pages of everything else- lol.

Plus, if you post here and tag some of the senior members on a difficult question, easier for you to keep track of responses.

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on how everything is doing Walker? I know your posting stuff on Smorgasbord, but it’s hard to keep up with the pages and pages of everything else- lol.

Plus, if you post here and tag some of the senior members on a difficult question, easier for you to keep track of responses.
Yup!

I got a clownfish, but that's pretty much it.

Everything else is doing great!

Here is a picture of the tank with extremely dirty glass lol. The stains just keep coming back.

20240509_172709.jpg

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup!

I got a clownfish, but that's pretty much it.

Everything else is doing great!

Here is a picture of the tank with extremely dirty glass lol. The stains just keep coming back.

20240509_172709.jpg
Yeah, those pesky new tank diatoms! But a good sign your tank is maturing. After you clean thoroughly, how many days before it comes back?

Also, lets see that clownfish!

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, those pesky new tank diatoms! But a good sign your tank is maturing. After you clean thoroughly, how many days before it comes back?

Also, lets see that clownfish!
Not long at all. Just maybe over 24 hours. I don't mind it too much. When I first started the hobby, I had the mindset of seeing no frag plugs, and no algae. I wanted my tank to be perfect. Obviously I don't think that anymore lol.

It is so incredibly difficult to get good pictures of clownfish. So here is a very low quality and very short video.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a great time to add some copepods! They will speed up getting rid of your diatoms, however diatoms are self limiting and will go away on their own.
Agree! I immediately added copepods after tank was done cycling. I fed Phyto daily. I basically didn’t deal with an overload of diatoms and barely the uglies for the first three months.

I used algae barn eco and/or galaxy pods depending on what they had on special. I also used their Ocean Magik Phyto. Very easy.

Now, there are quite a few other good vendors for pods/phytos and I have changed only because of shipping costs to Calif. but for just starting out and a low bioload, I would still use Algae barn.

I have continued to replenish copepod population on a bi-monthly basis. And I still feed Phyto daily as it competes against the ugly algae and feeds the copepods. I’m a big believer. While I did get GHA due to my own error and overfeeding, I never got dinos or cyano and I attribute that in part to copepods and Phyto.

Ok, getting off soapbox.

On the video of the clownfish, hard to tell but looked like white stuff on fins? Can you take still photo or take from the video?

OP
OP
WalkerLoves_TheOcean

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a great time to add some copepods! They will speed up getting rid of your diatoms, however diatoms are self limiting and will go away on their own.
Yup! I already added copepods from Algae Barn. They have helped tremendously.
Agree! I immediately added copepods after tank was done cycling. I fed Phyto daily. I basically didn’t deal with an overload of diatoms and barely the uglies for the first three months.

I used algae barn eco and/or galaxy pods depending on what they had on special. I also used their Ocean Magik Phyto. Very easy.

Now, there are quite a few other good vendors for pods/phytos and I have changed only because of shipping costs to Calif. but for just starting out and a low bioload, I would still use Algae barn.

I have continued to replenish copepod population on a bi-monthly basis. And I still feed Phyto daily as it competes against the ugly algae and feeds the copepods. I’m a big believer. While I did get GHA due to my own error and overfeeding, I never got dinos or cyano and I attribute that in part to copepods and Phyto.

Ok, getting off soapbox.

On the video of the clownfish, hard to tell but looked like white stuff on fins? Can you take still photo or take from the video?
Yeah, it's fin damage from the tailspot blenny who is nipping at him. But yes, there is white stiff on the fins and only the fins. I am not worried about disease as I have yet to find any white spots on the body, but I am definitely keeping my eye out.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 15.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 59 40.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 34 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 4.8%
Back