Unofficial vacation season

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As Memorial Day is 4 weeks away, it starts the unofficial season of summer, vacations, camping, fairs and so forth.
What are your plans for managing your tank when not home and how do you prepare for long and short trips away?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto-Feeder
Auto Top-Off
Skimmer cup sensor
55 Gallons of saltwater mixed and on standby
Tank monitoring via security camera, InkBird, and Hydros
Someone close by on speed dial/emergency contacts who knows how to
-turn off skimmer and pumps
-siphon and drain display + sump if necessary
-re-fill tank and sump

It's the best I could do...

Last edited:

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visiting Orlando, Florida for the first time in a couple weeks

Auto feeder
ATO
Apex
Camera

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just went to RAP Orlando last week and utilized Apex for info, ATO, AFS feeder and lower light (to keep fish calm). Summer vacation (will be Jamaica, California and late fall - Possibly Japan) - I have a very experienced reefer who will come to my house daily and do his magic and also give them daily frozen food.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get a house sitter to watch the dog, cat and box turtles ..
I give a LFS access to my Neptune Fusion account and bribe her to do a few drive by’s
Similar for me. We’ll be gone for 17 days. So in addition to house sitter to feed, top off ATO and clean glass - LFS will come by twice during that time to change socks, test the parameters and do a water change a few days before I come home so I don’t have to scramble to d a full cleaning. LFS has access to my Apex as well.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going on alot of vacations in the near future, starting with the Jersey Coast, St. Louis, Lake house in Michigan, wedding in Southern Florida (weekend trip), Caribbean Christmas cruise (christmas), and finally in April I head down to Ft. Meyers FL. That's alot for me, I normally only do 2-3 week long vacations a year. My plan is:

-Set up auto feeder
-ATO
- Gas generator in an accessible spot in case of power outage
- House sitter on-call
-Security camera Watching my tank (otherwise I will be paranoid).

I just went to RAP Orlando last week and utilized Apex for info, ATO, AFS feeder and lower light (to keep fish calm). Summer vacation (will be Jamaica, California and late fall - Possibly Japan) - I have a very experienced reefer who will come to my house daily and do his magic and also give them daily frozen food.

Vetteguy, awesome trips planned! I hope you enjoy them! Jamaica is awesome, in fact it's one of my favorite places I've been to!

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going on alot of vacations in the near future, starting with the Jersey Coast, St. Louis, Lake house in Michigan, wedding in Southern Florida (weekend trip), Caribbean Christmas cruise (christmas), and finally in April I head down to Ft. Meyers FL. That's alot for me, I normally only do 2-3 week long vacations a year. My plan is:

-Set up auto feeder
-ATO
- House sitter on-call

Vetteguy, awesome trips planned! I hope you enjoy them! Jamaica is awesome, in fact it's one of my favorite places I've been to!
Hey ft. Myers..., that's my neck of the woods!

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

-Set up auto feeder
-ATO
- House sitter on-call

Jamaica- will be my 14th time . . . LOL. Its addictive. I know pretty much the entire Island.

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning to have a neighbor come by to feed frozen every other day, have backup RO/DI water prepped for the ATO and hope for the best.

I also try to clean all pumps in the week or 2 before so make sure they are going to work as well as they can.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back to Roatan for the 1st time since 2018! Fortunately have sister living with is since December, she is being trained and understands how to feed, and dose what we do. So all good.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Memorial Day is 4 weeks away, it starts the unofficial season of summer, vacations, camping, fairs and so forth.
What are your plans for managing your tank when not home and how do you prepare for long and short trips away?
No vacations any time soon, wifey is 36 weeks pregnant. So I'm going to be spending a LOT of time at home. :)

bigbugoutfitters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fishing guide so your vacation is my work. I leave this Sunday and won’t be home til June 21st. Three days off then done October 1st. My wife has a full time job so I am relying on my two year old and an ATO to keep things running smoothly.
In all seriousness my tank is running pretty smoothly. I have a reefer 250 with 4 small fish in it, and I set up 50 gallons of ro water. I don’t do any dosing and all she has to do is occasionally feed and make sure the ato is always working and the tank sorta runs itself.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back