Whats the best way to add a copperband to a tank with aggressive tangs?

kierstin1993

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I have 2 tangs, a purple and yellow. They have a habit of ganging up on certain newcomers (killed a powder blue tang and a coral beauty angel on seperate occasions). Right now I have a copperband in the tank with a partition up so the tangs can't get her.
To avoid aggression I thought it might be best to add multiple fish since I believe they are going to dislike the copperband.
I already have a foxface in QT waiting to go in.
I'm looking for recommendations for other fish that will help break up their aggression. I don't want them to single one out till they kill it.
My tank is 150 so I'm thinking another tang may be out of the question but the fish I add needs to be big enough and the right shape to help take aggression off the copperband (and foxface!).

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd make sure the cbb was eating like a champ before they interact. They don't often have good fat stores especially when newly acquired and can't handle as deep of a cut as another fat tang may. Adding multiple fish may help. Good luck. I found my yellow longnose great at defending itself from semi aggressive fish and shaped like a zebrasoma somewhat.

OP
OP
kierstin1993

kierstin1993

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am making sure she's fattened up first. Right now she will only eat masstick. I'm mixing it with her food and she is getting bulkier by the day.
It'll probably be a couple months before I'm ready to let her face the tangs. Just want some other fish to hopefully throw off the tangs.
I will look into a yellow longnose, thanks!

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try the mirror trick or you can print out a picture of a yellow/purple tang and tape it on the tank and see how that works

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is big enough, create an acclimation area with either acrylic/plexi or egg crate. Let the CBB live in that area until the other fish just ignore it. Then you can release it.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 18 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 15 11.1%
Back