→ Blue Jaw Tilefish experiences?

yoshii

Teen Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am absolutely dying to get one of these guys, but there's not too much info out there besides warnings about decompression and jumping. Does anyone have experience with this fish?

There was a purple one at my LFS a couple months ago that was doing great, eating, no floating funny, active, etc. But I've never seen a Blue Jaw Tilefish for sale except one on DD a few weeks ago.

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a very suicidal fish from my experiences they'll find anyway possible to do them selves in bu that's just my experience but I did love them while I had them

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple Tilefish are one of the hardiest (I use that term loosely) Tilefish that are commonly imported. Bluejaw Tilefish are on the bottom end of hardiness, along with Flashing Tilefish. If you can find a well-conditioned specimen (like those on DD) you'll be fine, as long as you feed well and have VERY passive tankmates.

OP
OP
yoshii

yoshii

Teen Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info!

Lateral, I've read they may swim with Anthias, but I think a lyretail anthias may be too aggressive? The tilefish would obviously be added earlier, and the Anthias would be last in the tank, but do you think aggression would be a problem? :/

Lateral72

Chaetodontidae
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info!

Lateral, I've read they may swim with Anthias, but I think a lyretail anthias may be too aggressive? The tilefish would obviously be added earlier, and the Anthias would be last in the tank, but do you think aggression would be a problem? :/
Anthias don't really bother any other species except for other anthias, IME. So a tilefish should be fine.

OP
OP
yoshii

yoshii

Teen Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got a cute 2.5-3" Blue Jaw Tilefish on Jan. 11 :) When I got it, it had ich but now he's fine and eating NLS pellets like a champ :) Still in quarantine, but he's much less shy now and is learning that I'm the food source. I'll add more experiences to this thread at time goes on

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the fish doing now? I still want one or a pair. Does yours burrow itself in the sandbed? I have special grade sand which is somewhat corse and I am afraid it will be too rough for them to burrow in.

Back