0 phosphates good or bad?

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a question for anyone who wants to chime in. Should I keep O phosphates? I had O nitrates as well but have got them up to 5ppm with stump remover slowly over a two week period. Now I am concerned about the 0 phosphates and am considering adding flourish phos to get it up to 0.3 ppm
My tank is 300 gallon plus sps dominant. Was established for 2 years but had to move it and now it's only 1 month or so old. Original live rock was added to the sump for the bacteria and all new reef saver went in as I had an aiptasia outbreak. Everything is doing fine a few lost corals though. I have a large skimmer and dose 12ml of no pox daily two 7 in filter socks and carbon, dose brs cal,alk,mg all in good ranges.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be aware that your phosphate test kits only measure inorganic phosphate, so you are only getting a part of the total phosphate picture.

What do your corals look like? Do they have rich color, or are they pale and sickly looking? You can have hobby test kit 'non measurable' inorganic phosphate (PO4) readings, but still deliver sufficient phosphate to the corals in the form of organic phosphates (typically via feeding). This is the situation in my small tank as I have richly colored corals, but haven't had a PO4 reading (Salifert) in a long time.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed, feed, feed your fish.
Maybe cut some 1" small holes in your filter socks for extra nutrients coming back into the tank.
Show's a picture of your tank.

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be aware that your phosphate test kits only measure inorganic phosphate, so you are only getting a part of the total phosphate picture.

What do your corals look like? Do they have rich color, or are they pale and sickly looking? You can have hobby test kit 'non measurable' inorganic phosphate (PO4) readings, but still deliver sufficient phosphate to the corals in the form of organic phosphates (typically via feeding). This is the situation in my small tank as I have richly colored corals, but haven't had a PO4 reading (Salifert) in a long time.
Well it is basically a new tank. Never went thru a cycle because of the amount of 2 year old live rock. However the corals look good some better then others. They have been looking better with the nitrate dosing. I do feed oyster feast and reef chili every other night.

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed, feed, feed your fish.
Maybe cut some 1" small holes in your filter socks for extra nutrients coming back into the tank.
Show's a picture of your tank.
Forgot to mention there are no fish in the system. They are all being qt right now and will be at least a month before they go in and then I will be most likely fighting the opposite problems. I don't have any good pics. My weakness is pics.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, phosphate is typically best in the 0.01 to 0.03 range and I'd target 0.02 ppm as a reasonable goal. The 0.3 ppm in the first post is too high, IMO, and has the potential to lead to algae problems as well as potentially poor coral growth and coloration.

I discuss phosphate in detail here:

Phosphate In The Reef Aquarium
https://www.reef2reef.com/blog/?p=3184

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had issues with LPS corals losing color and receding at 0 phosphates (no fish). Added some fish and cut the skimmer to only run one day a week. Phosphates still test really low 0.00 to 0.02 with Hanna, but color and growth have come back strong (along with some brown algae).

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also having trouble with SPS (montis more than the others), and had been running with nitrates at about 3 and no reading for phosphates. I have a lot of fish and feed pretty heavily (IMO). I was advised to bring up my phosphates by turning off the skimmer, but all that accomplished was getting my nitrates up to 10-12, and still no reading for phosphates. I have slowish growth of Chaeto in my sump, and no significant algae in the tank other than a light dusting on the glass. Is there any way to boost phosphates and still keep nitrates down?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also having trouble with SPS (montis more than the others), and had been running with nitrates at about 3 and no reading for phosphates. I have a lot of fish and feed pretty heavily (IMO). I was advised to bring up my phosphates by turning off the skimmer, but all that accomplished was getting my nitrates up to 10-12, and still no reading for phosphates. I have slowish growth of Chaeto in my sump, and no significant algae in the tank other than a light dusting on the glass. Is there any way to boost phosphates and still keep nitrates down?

You can certainly dose phosphate directly with a variety of products, but if chaeto grows at all, it seems as if there should be enough phosphate for corals. There are lots of DIY products or some freshwater buffers that contain phosphate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can certainly dose phosphate directly with a variety of products, but if chaeto grows at all, it seems as if there should be enough phospahte for corals. There are lots of DIY products or some freshwater buffers that contain phosphate.

Any advice on how much flourish phos to dose per gallon to get to the 0.03?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice on how much flourish phos to dose per gallon to get to the 0.03?

The product says it is 4500 ppm phosphate, so you'd dose 0.03/4500th of the tank water volume = 0.000007 times whatever your tank volume is.

For 100 gallons, that is 0.0007 gallons or 2.5 mL.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get a reading with salifert either even when I double to test for higher sensitivity. My corals are fine but have lost a bit of color but I believe thay is due to pulling my fish out for a ich breakout. They are still in qt for 3 more weeks, then after I will see if the colors become more rich.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't get a reading with salifert either even when I double to test for higher sensitivity. My corals are fine but have lost a bit of color but I believe thay is due to pulling my fish out for a ich breakout. They are still in qt for 3 more weeks, then after I will see if the colors become more rich.

Why don't you just feed your corals?
There's more coral food on the market than beer IMO.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you just feed your corals?
There's more coral food on the market than beer IMO.
I do feed them 3 times a week with reef chili, reef roids and my lfs makes one. Also do frozen foods. I think it's the fish poop that makes the difference. But with that feeding still don't get a reading on the test.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, it is easy enough to stop any time the tank seems to be looking worse due to dosing.

That said, you likely add somewhere between 0.02 and 0.3 ppm phosphate every day via foods, so adding an extra 0.03 ppm each day could be significant, but might not be earth shattering in its effects and in its testability after 24 h. :)

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, it is easy enough to stop any time the tank seems to be looking worse due to dosing.

That said, you likely add somewhere between 0.02 and 0.3 ppm phosphate every day via foods, so adding an extra 0.03 ppm each day could be significant, but might not be earth shattering in its effects and in its testability after 24 h. :)
So just feed everyday and just assume your at 0.03? That works for me!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 42 84.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.0%
Back