1 fish and a few hermits dead after water change

graffitireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird issue happened with my newish nano set up. I did a small water change on an evo 13.5 this morning and discovered my purple dottyback dead, my purple firefish breathing faster than usual but still alert and reactive. My dead fish had its gills extended looking like he suffocated? I matched up my scenario with others posts with similar issues and none of the usual suspects matched up and I cant really figure out what happened .Info on my tank is as follows:

4 months old, made with marco reefsaver rocks, dry special grade reef sand, cycled initially using ammonia drops and Dr Tims. Fish was quaratined and dipped at month 2 and added to tank. Fish always ate and was healthy. I added firefish on month 4 along with a few hermits. Everybody was fine and eating well. I do a 2.5 gallon water change with water I mixed last night. I mix with a heater and powerhead and water has always came out perfect. The refractometer is correctly calibrated, no contaminants have entered my tank, perims all check out, no loose wires or stray shock, no injuries on fish, theres a little algae thats been growing on my rocks since last week. 2 weeks ago I performed a larger water change, like 60% and noticed the same purple dottyback acting funny after the water change so I tested everything and added an airstone and adjusted my powerhead and he made a fully recovery within an hour and I ttok the airstones out a few days later. He was fine and I assumed after adjusting my powerhead to move more water surface that the O2 exchange would be better. So I perform the water change today and observe the tank for an hour and everything seemed fine. 10 hours later I come home to the dead fish etc. I just cant come to agree that my tank isnt getting enough O2, the entire water surface us rippling as well as the water coming over the overflow and tubmling into the rear chambers. Could it be something else? Im really confused. Sorry for the typos, Im really stoned rn.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weird issue happened with my newish nano set up. I did a small water change on an evo 13.5 this morning and discovered my purple dottyback dead, my purple firefish breathing faster than usual but still alert and reactive. My dead fish had its gills extended looking like he suffocated? I matched up my scenario with others posts with similar issues and none of the usual suspects matched up and I cant really figure out what happened .Info on my tank is as follows:

4 months old, made with marco reefsaver rocks, dry special grade reef sand, cycled initially using ammonia drops and Dr Tims. Fish was quaratined and dipped at month 2 and added to tank. Fish always ate and was healthy. I added firefish on month 4 along with a few hermits. Everybody was fine and eating well. I do a 2.5 gallon water change with water I mixed last night. I mix with a heater and powerhead and water has always came out perfect. The refractometer is correctly calibrated, no contaminants have entered my tank, perims all check out, no loose wires or stray shock, no injuries on fish, theres a little algae thats been growing on my rocks since last week. 2 weeks ago I performed a larger water change, like 60% and noticed the same purple dottyback acting funny after the water change so I tested everything and added an airstone and adjusted my powerhead and he made a fully recovery within an hour and I ttok the airstones out a few days later. He was fine and I assumed after adjusting my powerhead to move more water surface that the O2 exchange would be better. So I perform the water change today and observe the tank for an hour and everything seemed fine. 10 hours later I come home to the dead fish etc. I just cant come to agree that my tank isnt getting enough O2, the entire water surface us rippling as well as the water coming over the overflow and tubmling into the rear chambers. Could it be something else? Im really confused. Sorry for the typos, Im really stoned rn.
What is the dkh of your tank water and then what is dkh of the fresh mixed saltwater that you used for water change?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I posted that I thought to myself wil a huge change in dkh effect fish I’m not sure I do know corals won’t be happy

OP
OP
graffitireef

graffitireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, you should do a full test of parameters.
So I retested my tank with a friends test kit and everything still checks out. Purple firefish is back to normal, the hermits that did make it all seem fine. Im now wondering if 2.5 gallons on a 13.5 gallon tank thats realistically holding 10ish gallons was too much? Maybe there was a large ammonia spike? Im still stumped but I guess Ill be doing a 1 gallon water change next week and see what happens.

OP
OP
graffitireef

graffitireef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I posted that I thought to myself wil a huge change in dkh effect fish I’m not sure I do know corals won’t be happy
No corals yet, just the 2 fish (now one) and some hermits. Alk should be fine as the marco rocks and the sand should be stabilizing the alk of the tank due to the high calcium content, no?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back