1 month old tank full of ich

pmgaudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did research it cause I have it. and freshwater will NOT kill whats on the fish, the Mucas coating that the fish uses to fight it will NOT allow the water to kill it. or so I read. HYPO is the best NON chemical way. Copper is best for fast killing, but harmful to everything else. I am trying Microbe-lift. IT was recommended to me by THREE reefers that had TREMENDOUS success with it for ICK and other infections in a reef tank. REEF SAFE and I am on my forth of ten day dose. I will chime in when it is done, success or failure I dont have a QT or HT...
My .02!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of respect for the OP, please keep it civil ladies and gentlemen. Enough with the bickering.

jaytizzle

Fish Pro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of misinformation in this thread is disturbing.

Just a couple off the top. Some of these have been stated but they bear repeating...

1 - Temp increases will do NOTHING for marine ich life cycle. It is what it is and temp will not affect it. This DOES work for freshwater ich but they're two different animals.
2 - Freshwater dips are USELESS if done for anything less than 5 minutes and still will not kill the ich that is infected the fish and is burrowed into its tissue!
3 - No matter what you treat your fish with, if you put them back into an infected DT, they will show up with ich again.
4 - Reef-safe treatments DO NOT WORK. If they did, marine ich would be completely wiped from the aquarium trade and the company that made the product would be worth billions (or more).
5 - Nothing works as well as 8-10 week fallow period on the DT combined with Copper (WITH A TEST KIT!) or Hyposalinity (EXPERT ONLY!) treatment of ALL fish in a QT. Some fish don't do very well with copper and you'll need to research that but for the most part you can copper the vast majority of the fish we keep. If you have a fish that shouldn't be coppered, you've probably already done your homework and know that you shouldn't copper that fish (i.e. the expert only statement on hypo).

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to this!
The amount of misinformation in this thread is disturbing.

Just a couple off the top. Some of these have been stated but they bear repeating...

1 - Temp increases will do NOTHING for marine ich life cycle. It is what it is and temp will not affect it. This DOES work for freshwater ich but they're two different animals.
2 - Freshwater dips are USELESS if done for anything less than 5 minutes and still will not kill the ich that is infected the fish and is burrowed into its tissue!
3 - No matter what you treat your fish with, if you put them back into an infected DT, they will show up with ich again.
4 - Reef-safe treatments DO NOT WORK. If they did, marine ich would be completely wiped from the aquarium trade and the company that made the product would be worth billions (or more).
5 - Nothing works as well as 8-10 week fallow period on the DT combined with Copper (WITH A TEST KIT!) or Hyposalinity (EXPERT ONLY!) treatment of ALL fish in a QT. Some fish don't do very well with copper and you'll need to research that but for the most part you can copper the vast majority of the fish we keep. If you have a fish that shouldn't be coppered, you've probably already done your homework and know that you shouldn't copper that fish (i.e. the expert only statement on hypo).

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did research it cause I have it. and freshwater will NOT kill whats on the fish, the Mucas coating that the fish uses to fight it will NOT allow the water to kill it. or so I read. HYPO is the best NON chemical way. Copper is best for fast killing, but harmful to everything else. I am trying Microbe-lift. IT was recommended to me by THREE reefers that had TREMENDOUS success with it for ICK and other infections in a reef tank. REEF SAFE and I am on my forth of ten day dose. I will chime in when it is done, success or failure I dont have a QT or HT...
My .02!!!!!!!!

I've used Microbe-lift Herbtana and it worked for me:)

keokea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I understanding this correctly? if i have a ich outbreak i just have to remove the fish from DT TO QT for a few months? the ich will not survive with just corals?

Monroereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I understanding this correctly? if i have a ich outbreak i just have to remove the fish from DT TO QT for a few months? the ich will not survive with just corals?

Correct. Ich needs a host to live on. If there is no fish the ich will die. The period to run fallow is like 8 weeks, to make sure all the stages of the ich cycle are done.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back